Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windscreen

Windscreen

Hi
    Does any one have a spare windscreen for sale or tell me where I can buy one from
    Or what car if any the windscreen is from breing a kit car or is it unique to the nova
    Thanks

Yes it's unique to the Nova (Eagles are very different) Avantes are theoretically the same but even rarer. They are still made by Pilkingtons (at a price) - if you rumage round the site you'll find several threads with details.
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Hi Paul, Welcome to the Forum.

I believe this is the current state of play WRT Nova Windscreens:
    http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...shield-for-MK1

Suppliers are Pilkingtons & maybe Autoglass and yeah, get ready for a hit.

I would be interested to know if anyone knows any more than is stated on the above thread,
    e.g. back in the day you could purchase a tinted screen: green. brown or (maybe?) black, is that still possible?

I would also be interested to know what else (other options) are available in 2018?

And Paul, when your car is roadworthy, ensure that the boot lid cannot accidentally flip-up when you are bombing down your favourite A-Road, the boot will smash your screen, and you'll end up taking another hit, ask me how I know :-(

Steve
    Last edited by steve; 21-03-2018 at 09:46 PM.

Thanks for the link Steve, I had being looking around the forum for the information but couldn’t find it
    Ill contact auto glass and see what they say

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I would be interested to know if anyone knows any more than is stated on the above thread,
    e.g. back in the day you could purchase a tinted screen: green. brown or (maybe?) black, is that still possible?
    Back in the day screens were available with an overall green tint, an overall bronze/brown tint (which I opted for when I had my new windscreen made), or clear glass. You could also opt for a clear screen with a top tint in bronze/brown and possibly green as well.

I don't think anything darker has ever been offered for the windscreen, which must meet a minimum light transmission requirement. That said, I sold my #2 screen to Nova Nigel and the contrast between the tinted screen and the clear side windows on a sunny day was remarkable - it really did help to cut down glare, even with a legal level of tint.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Blog Entries
    I'm looking to buy a new screen myself in the next 0-6 months, anyone in the same boat want to join forces and negotiate a group-buy discount?

Sorry to Hijack your thread Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I'm looking to buy a new screen myself in the next 0-6 months, anyone in the same boat want to join forces and negotiate a group-buy discount?

Sorry to Hijack your thread Paul.
    Certainly, my windscreen is buggered because it was sealed in and it's starting to go a bit south, it would have to be 4-6 months from now however so I can recoup funds.
    Current cars -
    Nova
    MGB GT 1974
    Austin Mini 1973 (79 plate)
    Triumph Stag 1976
    Triumph Dolomite (in the works)
    Honda CRV 2016

I'm also needing to replace the windscreen on my Nova due to excessive 'milking' along the bottom edge where moisture has penetrated between the laminate and glass. I would probably order two screens in terms of having a spare if we could arrange a bulk discount, so count me in!

Cheers,

Colin

I know the price of a new one !!
    A lot.
    What could happen of course is, get the car insured with windscreen cover and then claim for a new one due to the “ brick” that went through the screen !!
    You will either be paying around £900 for a new screen or the excess on the insurance !!

Has anyone actually rang Autoglass yet?
    When I bought mine from them, they also gave me a 30% discount for no real reason...
    I know that in 2012 the cost to Autoglass themselves was £260 (ish depending on tint etc), but that the cost from Autoglass at full price was £640 + vat, £450 + vat with the 30% discount (inc fitting) and £320 +vat with 30% discount (supply only).
    So in 2012 you can see how much variation in cost there is!
    Do you know the part numbers you are looking for?
    (I notice that the windscreen I have does not have the black printed edge which would be better to hide the bonding in etc, but that could be added later before fitting)
    Green tint with a blue banding;-
    9886AGNBL (A0573GNBL)
    Clear;-
    9886ACL (A0573CL)
    I ordered my green with blue banding from Autoglass, and they ordered from Pilkingtons...

The £640 full price above is pretty close to the amount Buffy mentioned in this post 18 months ago;-

http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...l=1#post120407

...so going through Autoglass with the 30% discount (or more) would be my first stop.