Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 59

Thread: Windscreen

  1. #21
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    545
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTOGLASS View Post
    Hello Steve,
    Thank you for contacting Autoglass®
    I am unable to find any details under the two part numbers you provide in the original email.
    Please can you confirm the year of registration for your Nova Kit Car so we can look in this further for you?
    If we are able to provide you with a price quote through email I will send this over.
    Hi Neil,
    Thanks for your mail.
    A friend from the Nova Owners club purchased a screen from you in April 2017,
    his Reg Number is: TTP597K, Part Number: 9886ABL


    The part numbers used by other Nova Club members who have ordered screens from Autoglass are:

    9886AGNBL (A0573GNBL) Green tint with a blue banding
    9886ACL (A0573CL) Clear
    A0573 BZ (not printed)
    A0573 BZ1B (printed)

    I hope that helps in finding the Screen
    Steve

  2. #22
    Just an update
    I have a reply from pilkingtons, nick gardiner
    A0573 BZ is £840.04
    AO573 BZ1B is £909.13

    Lead time is 8 weeks
    Payment is Pro forma

  3. #23
    When Richard Oakes designed the Nova in the early 1970's - one of his inspirations was that modern technology then allowed for the production of "one off" or low volume screens at low cost due to recent advances in manufacturing.

    Almost 50 years later - it's hard to believe that Pilkingtons now charge £800-£900 for what is effectively a production screen.

    I think it's time to look around for alternative suppliers. Perhaps even importing from the US or Australia where these screens are still available? Or source a manufacturer that could produce a limited run of screens for interested parties?

    I did wonder about using polycarbonate (which is easy to form if a suitable buck was available) but have some doubts about how road legal polycarbonate screens are in the UK
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

    http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns


  4. #24
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bicester Oxon
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Slade View Post
    Just an update
    I have a reply from pilkingtons, nick gardiner
    A0573 BZ is £840.04
    AO573 BZ1B is £909.13

    Lead time is 8 weeks
    Payment is Pro forma
    Those look to be full retail cost from Pilkington, as mentioned before, Autoglass gets them from Pilkingtons but are likely to be more open to giving discounted price (which they did for me, although over five years ago!)
    I actually queried with Belron.

    They 'full' price is usually bumped up as its usually a replacement screen via an insurance claim.
    Last edited by MartinB; 29-03-2018 at 11:15 AM.

  5. #25
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    545
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    When Richard Oakes designed the Nova in the early 1970's - one of his inspirations was that modern technology then allowed for the production of "one off" or low volume screens at low cost due to recent advances in manufacturing.

    Almost 50 years later - it's hard to believe that Pilkingtons now charge £800-£900 for what is effectively a production screen.

    I think it's time to look around for alternative suppliers. Perhaps even importing from the US or Australia where these screens are still available? Or source a manufacturer that could produce a limited run of screens for interested parties?

    [...]
    You're spot-on.
    GBP 900 is a "Go Away" price.
    8 weeks lead time? yeah that's convenient for daily driver.

    I'm not impressed by Pilkington, the guy mentioned earlier in this thread hasn't found the time to respond to my query. Autoglass responded in 12 hours, if they had the part in stock they'd have it fitted by now.

    The Pilkington quote sounds like total BS

    I found this link the other day, http://www.master-auto-glass.com maybe if we supplied them with an existing screen to work from?

    Hmmm, I'm sounding a bit like you Peter ;-)

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post

    Hmmm, I'm sounding a bit like you Peter ;-)
    That's a good thing.

    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

    http://ukhozi.page.tl

  7. #27
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Hailsham, E Sussex
    Posts
    1,117
    Please note from my, and the linked thread.
    I ordered my glass from autoglass, who have to get it from pilkingtons.
    It took 5 months from order to being fitted!!!
    Autoglass will give you the same waiting time as pilkingtons.
    What i did was give autoglass the pilkington codes but not the prices. That how I got mine trade price !

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    You're spot-on.
    GBP 900 is a "Go Away" price.
    8 weeks lead time? yeah that's convenient for daily driver.

    I'm not impressed by Pilkington, the guy mentioned earlier in this thread hasn't found the time to respond to my query. Autoglass responded in 12 hours, if they had the part in stock they'd have it fitted by now.

    The Pilkington quote sounds like total BS

    I found this link the other day, http://www.master-auto-glass.com maybe if we supplied them with an existing screen to work from?

    Hmmm, I'm sounding a bit like you Peter ;-)
    I can understand the frustration, but as has been pointed out it is only Pilkington who have the mould and silk screens for surrounds etc.

    I met Nick and had a tour of the site when I collected my screen, and we worked it into an article for Complete Kit Car. Trust me, once you see the process (or read my 6 page article :-) ) you do realise it isn't as simple as it seems.

    The factory specialises in all the rarer screens and special orders. There are only 2 main ovens, and if they want to run a Nova screen off it has to be set to that and just that, whereas if asked to run off 10 screens for a Gardner Douglas kit car (which they also do) they can do 2 batches of screens with 3-4 going through the oven at a time. Their lead times will be based on the amount of bespoke work lined up. All of the buttons on the oven control in this pic are manually turned on and off to adjust heat to a screen so it 'falls' into the mould correctly - it is fascinating to watch, and takes a lot of skill.

    IMG_9646.jpg

    When I knew I was approaching needing the screen I kept in touch with Nick and got myself in the queue, and then kept in touch politely to ensure I wasn't forgotten or bumped. The first they did for me wasn't right, and was rejected, as I recall happened for Lauren too - a risk factor when setting up one offs which I would think is factored into costs too.

    If you get a better price through another supplier I would be surprised if they could bump up the queue anyway.
    All the best,

    Jim

    Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics



    Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car

  9. #29

    windscreen

    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Hi Neil,
    Thanks for your mail.
    A friend from the Nova Owners club purchased a screen from you in April 2017,
    his Reg Number is: TTP597K, Part Number: 9886ABL


    The part numbers used by other Nova Club members who have ordered screens from Autoglass are:

    9886AGNBL (A0573GNBL) Green tint with a blue banding
    9886ACL (A0573CL) Clear
    A0573 BZ (not printed)
    A0573 BZ1B (printed)

    I hope that helps in finding the Screen
    Steve
    just wondering are we still being offered a club discount by autoglass when i enquired some years ago they offered me 50% off. i just had to give them my membership number. the cost then was just over £300.00 +fitting for a standard screen.

  10. #30
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    4,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I did wonder about using polycarbonate (which is easy to form if a suitable buck was available) but have some doubts about how road legal polycarbonate screens are in the UK
    Very NOT road legal in the UK I'm sorry to say. Although there were a couple of 1960s specials that used a plastic screen (Heron Europa comes to mind) which might be able to get away with it, assuming any survive.

    When I was getting my screen made Pilkington told me that part of the cost is due to the size of the Nova screen, which was too large to fit into their standard car oven and has to be cooked in their commercial vehicle oven instead.

    Companies like Autoglass will only be able to offer discounts against a bulk purchase, and I very much doubt that they hold stocks of 10 or more Nova windscreens now, unlike in the past - the demand is just not there. Many modern car windscreens cost at least as much as the Nova screen and no doubt contribute the high purchase price of these cars. It's all very well wanting to get top dollar for your cars when you sell, but that price reflects the cost of the parts, like the windscreen (and a decent respray, which can cost upwards of £4000 these days...)

    Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •