Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New continental based member

New continental based member

Hi everyone.

Well here is my intro. I remember the local garage (Burgh le Marsh, Lincolnshire) buying a light blue Nova kit, and seeing it in various states of build on the way to school. That was the first time I found out what a kit car was. I just read Phil Fenton's Nova book, stating 5000+ were made! Wow? 5000+!

I guess I might not fit in one now, I'm 6'1". Having read about the S2 roof, 2" higher, would that be enough? Would I need a lower floor pan as well, or can the seat be tweaked in some way? I don't mind leaning back a lot to drive! Also, will that Targa style roof fit most Novas? Might that help?

I would ideally like a left hand drive one! Can I buy any NOVA and build it up on an LHD Beetle chassis? For that matter, can I just fit LHD steering gear to an RHD beetle (or Kaefer as the Germans call them)?
    Are there German/French/Austrian or Swiss clubs for Nova/Gryff/Ledl/Defi? I can't seem to find them with google.

Thinking about paperwork and LHD versions, a foreign club would be a bonus. There was a Swiss Gryff version http://www.allcarindex.com/main-inde...zerland-Gryff/
    which interestingly has 5 stud wheels, and is obviously LHD!

Thinking about price, I guess £3k to £5k has recently seen incomplete/project cars sell for. How much would a really tidy UK example, MOT'd, nice paint and interior, with perfect UK paperwork fetch? £15K? £25k? more? What is the most one has sold for in the past 3 years say? With 5000+ out there you would think there would be more sales info... Ebay doesn't have any completed listings I can find.
    --
    John.

I’m 6’ 4” and fit in a Mark 1, albeit with 5” floor pan drops and seat with a thin base and limited padding

I do wonder if there really is 5000+ out there anymore, most have probably been reduced to their original constituents or languish in a car graveyard in pieces. As for how much you pay for one really depends on how much you're willing to part with as a lot of the beauty of these vehicles is in the buyer and sellers eyes and how much you both think it's worth.
    Current cars -
    Nova
    MGB GT 1974
    Austin Mini 1973 (79 plate)
    Triumph Stag 1976
    Triumph Dolomite (in the works)
    Honda CRV 2016

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I would suggest a dropped floorpan is best even for a S2 car for anyone over about 5"8.

There shouldn't be any issues in putting an unused Nova body on a LHD floorpan - even the dashboard is symmetrical. A used one that has been RHD can still be converted but would need patching up where holes have been drilled to suit RHD.

Price wise these cars are getting so rare now it's practically impossible to buy a good complete car - most cars that come up are projects and extensive ones at that.

Might even be worth looking to the USA to import a complete car that is already LHD?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Hi and welcome!

Phill has pretty much summed things up ... so I've nothing much to add, other than you'll find that patience is a virtue when looking for a Nova, so best of luck with your search.

Cheers, Alistair

Hi John90.

Welcome to the forum.

Good luck with your search. I hope you find a Nova soon but as Phil has already pointed out most will need work.

Have fun.
    Cheers.
    Mostin.
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John90 View Post
    [...]
    Thinking about price, I guess £3k to £5k has recently seen incomplete/project cars sell for. How much would a really tidy UK example, MOT'd, nice paint and interior, with perfect UK paperwork fetch? £15K? £25k? more? What is the most one has sold for in the past 3 years say? With 5000+ out there you would think there would be more sales info... Ebay doesn't have any completed listings I can find.
    --
    John.
    Hi John, Welcome to the forum.
    Which continent/country are are you from? ;-)

A really top-end car with MOT, sorted engine, chassis, paint, interior, wheels, properly presented for sale, has not some up for sale in the UK in the last 3 years. There are some cars on this forum that tick all those boxes, and some very interesting cars in development, but these have not come up for sale (I'm looking forward to getting an answer to that question as well).

Stick around. You are in the right place to hear about them.

Hi Welcome to the forum!

You will find this a very friendly and helpful place- and full of a lot of useful information about everything that is 'Nova' (as well as other very interesting variants such a the Eagle and very rare Avante).

As others have indicated, complete and well sorted examples for sale are very rare indeed, but there are options to get into Nova ownership for the (very) patient. For example, there is a Belgian company who produce glassfibre body tubs, canopies, and other body panels for the Nova which, after sourcing a beetle chassis/engine, could be the start of something special (others on the forum are building cars using other, very interesting chassis options too).

Cheers,

Colin

Thanks all for the info on driver height, etc! 5" floor pan drop. Sounds a lot! I have seen 2 now (Sterlings) on Bring a Trailer in the US, $5000 running from a museum, and $1950 with a new engine not fitted, both in the last 2/3 years.

I would like to find an older Beetle engined one, rather than something with a modern engine, but it is good to know they are still made. Ultimately I would want to register/drive it in Switzerland, although I have access to a car trailer based in Basel, which is very handy for France/Germany picking up cars. Something from the UK would also do, I am often around London and the south.

Are new windscreens available from Belgium? Any idea how much they cost?

Hi John, welcome to the forum.
    No NOVA or Sterling club in Germany or Austria.
    My Friend Karl have sold his LHD Sterling for 14000 Euro.
    A NOVA is for sale in Germany: ebay.kleinanzeigen.de
    You can see many fotos on my site and you can contact me in German language.

Cheers

Friedl