Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linear Actuators - what are you using?

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    omg....don't let Buffy read this, we will have no chance of converting him to the dark side (....no wait, that would be the light side with a sunroof )
    No Sunroof, but I will have an escape route in the event of power/actuator failure.
    The current plan is to have a means of unhooking the actuators from the bottom mount, unpluging the electrics and manually lifting the roof ... time will tell if that is viable.

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    Where did you get 10 to 20 amps from? When I load tested my actuators on 12v the start amp was in the region of 9 amps & running at 7 amps.
    Hmmm.. well that's good news, the 20A Max figure came from the LA30 Spec sheet, I just double-checked and that is what it says. If the power consumption is less in a real-world application then all the better.

I've not looked at the specs but I would imagine that the max 20 amps would be when the actuators are lifting their max load and the Nova canopy between the two is quite a bit less?

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I've not looked at the specs but I would imagine that the max 20 amps would be when the actuators are lifting their max load and the Nova canopy between the two is quite a bit less?

Dirk

Yep, makes sence to me.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Blog Entries
    Yep, makes sence to me.

Bushboy
    Hello mate,
    What happens when the LA30 actuator piston reaches the end of its upward travel?
    Does the power shut off (automatically)?

Is there a 'clutch slip' mechanism like the old Smiths noise-maker pump, to protect the motor from burning out?

Let me ask the question in another way; if you lifted the roof on your car, and kept your finger on the 'up' button for 10 seconds after the actuator is fully extended, what happens?

I have asked Linak that question, they didn't answer directly, so I assume it ends badly...

G'day Steve,

Short answer Nothing.

Long answer. I use to have a separate up & down switch, that was until when I was sending the roof up, my 4 year old daughter decided to push the down button. Then the fuses POP. Now I just have a momentary Up/Off/Down toggle in the car & the remote for external opening/closing, Non latching. So when you take your finger off they stop. My daughter, much older now, still forgets to let the switch go when the roof is all the way up & I have not pop a fuse or burnt a motor yet.

Over the winter I intend (don't you love that word, means you don't actually have to do it) to program a micro-controller to take care of one button up, one button partially closed (to avoid entrapment) then hold button to close. I will install limit switches, or use an encoder on the motor.

I have never had a motor burn out on me, just the internal nylon nut wear out after about 15 years of service.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Blog Entries
    Useful, thanks.

The reason for the question is that Linak make a couple of 'limit switches' to cut the power to the LA30 motor when the piston reaches pre-defined limits, they bolt onto the side of the piston/shaft, however the extra 'bulk' would probably make the actuator to big to install.

So a homebrew limit-switch solution mentioned by Bushboy is probably the way forward here.
    I still plan on using LA30s (initially without any limit switch switches in my case) but this is a downside in the actuators vs hydraulics debate.

There are a large range of actuators on the market, however the LA30 appears to be the only one fast enough, quiet enough and powerful enough to lift the Nova roof.

G'day Steve,

Short answer Nothing.

Long answer. I use to have a separate up & down switch, that was until when I was sending the roof up, my 4 year old daughter decided to push the down button. Then the fuses POP. Now I just have a momentary Up/Off/Down toggle in the car & the remote for external opening/closing, Non latching. So when you take your finger off they stop. My daughter, much older now, still forgets to let the switch go when the roof is all the way up & I have not pop a fuse or burnt a motor yet.

Over the winter I intend (don't you love that word, means you don't actually have to do it) to program a micro-controller to take care of one button up, one button partially closed (to avoid entrapment) then hold button to close. I will install limit switches, or use an encoder on the motor.

I have never had a motor burn out on me, just the internal nylon nut wear out after about 15 years of service.

Bushboy