Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linear Actuators - what are you using?

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries

Linear Actuators - what are you using?

I plan on using 12v Actuators (i.e. electric rams) to lift the canopy.
    There are plenty of threads on the forum discussing this, but I couldn't find anything recent...

This from 2014: www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?6217-Linear-actuators

Some threads mention this LA30 actuator: www.linak.co.uk/products/linear-actuators/la30/
    There are a number of options to the LA30 (150mm or 200mm travel, High-power 12s motor and a 9mm Pitch - whatever that means?)

I know Bushboy has a 24v system, I'm looking for 12v.
    Anyone using actuators for their canopy? What model of actuator are you using? What is your experience with them?

The LA30 looks (bulky) like it won't sit nicely in the hinge recess?
    Has anyone fitted a release mechanism to open the roof in the event of power failure?

G'day Steve,
    They are only 24V as after the first 15 years of service one of the 12v ones gave up the ghost. They will still operate on 12v but very slowly.

IF they do fail, escape is via the usual route, sunroof, T-Top, side window.

To get the exact spec google Purvis Eureka Car Club, visit their web site & you will find all the specs of the Linax units we use down under. Essentially thay are LA30's.

Yes the motor does stick out into the cab a bit. Posh Novas with carpet can cover them, spartan Eurekas like mine, they rub on your leg.

One mod to the tub that I have seen done in Australia is to cut out the recess & extend it into the side pod further to house the motor.

Cheers

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Blog Entries
    I'm seriously thinking about ordering a pair of the LA30 Actuators.

The LA30 as used by the Purvis Eureka guys has a length of 317mm (piston fully retracted), a stroke of 150mm, giving a (piston fully extended) length of 467mm.

Does anyone have a Nova hydraulic ram handy for comparison purposes?
    Can someone give me the (approximate) retracted/extended dimensions of the Ram as shown in red in the diagram please?

Piston.jpg

Steve,

Iím just wondering what the rationale is for you going Linacs versus hydraulics?, I know this typically ends up a religious debate.... Aussieís donít do hydraulics and Brits mainly do hydraulics.

I got the preference for linacs when compared to the noisy smiths pump, but these days the newer generation of pumps can be even quieter than linacs

Hi Steve

The measurements you are looking for are as follows:-

Fully retracted - 330mm
    Fully extended- 555mm
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Steve,

Iím just wondering what the rationale is for you going Linacs versus hydraulics?, I know this typically ends up a religious debate.... Aussieís donít do hydraulics and Brits mainly do hydraulics.

I got the preference for linacs when compared to the noisy smiths pump, but these days the newer generation of pumps can be even quieter than linacs
    Hi Dave, I take the point that modern hydraulic system perform pretty well, and I don't believe there is a single killer reason to go for actuators; I see the main benefit as simplicity, i.e.
    Ease of install, no Hydraulic lines to route from the front compartment.
    No Pump to install.
    No weeping hydraulics.
    All electrics are in the dry, in/around the dash area (nothing in the more exposed front compartment)
    The LA30 Actuator has a brake, and I'm optimistic there will be no negative pressure issues holding the roof down.
    May allow for exiting the car in the event of actuator/power failure (I don't plan on having a Sunroof).
    Probably a small weight saving & simpler wiring loom.
    ...Personal preference against hydraulics

Downsides are that it is an off-piste modification; there will likely be some gotchas.
    the stroke of the actuator is a fairly small: 150mm, therefore mods to the lever position on the hinge are likely.
    Actuator motor encroaches into the cockpit.
    Power consumption per unit is high, 10-20Amp.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Hi Steve

The measurements you are looking for are as follows:-

Fully retracted - 330mm
    Fully extended- 555mm
    Hi Phill, That's great - thanks for the quick response

G'day Steve,

The lift on the actuators on my car is a concern & I will be modifying the lift possition to gain a larger opening.......at some point in time (been on the road for 10 years!!!!)

Where did you get 10 to 20 amps from? When I load tested my actuators on 12v the start amp was in the region of 9 amps & running at 7 amps.

I am firmly in the camp of actuators (but I have never had hydraulics) for the reasons you state.

Cheers

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I don't plan on having a Sunroof
    omg....don't let Buffy read this, we will have no chance of converting him to the dark side (....no wait, that would be the light side with a sunroof )

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    omg....don't let Buffy read this, we will have no chance of converting him to the dark side (....no wait, that would be the light side with a sunroof )
    Too late