Thread: Big wheels keep on rollin

Big wheels keep on rollin

Afternoon all, i've tried looking at vast amounts of old posts but come up short,
    whats the bigest wheels anyones tried or is running on these days,
    I know most seem to settle for wolfies on 15x7x60r ish, but ive seen some damn nice wheels today 18x9's and think they will be just to big lol.
    Rich.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Hi Rich,
    Send us a link or some pics of what you are looking at please.

There is lots of scope for big wheels on the back of a Nova, things are a lot tighter at the front, because of the steering (obviously) and the arches and bodywork are a lot tighter at the front.

I have seen cars with 20 inch wheels & 285/30 tyres at the back, I think 295 wide is as much as you can go at the rear (it is open to artistic interpretation).

At the front a lot less; People tend to run tyres up to ~245 wide,
    (I am using 195/60 R16s on my build at the front).
    so I don't believe your 9'in wide rims would work at the front of the car.
    You would likely be scraping tyres against the body over bumps and at full lock. Plus the steering would be pretty heavy at low-speed.

Hope that is useful.

Hi steve, yeh i know 9's would be too wide at the front, i'm just trying to get an overall image of what i'm looking at as its all still at the planning/costing and dont tell the missus stage lol
    this is what i'm looking at looks like they only come in 9's and i'd need american ford adapters to fit them
    Cosmis XT206R Wheels 18x9 ET33 5X114.3- BLACK CHROME
    [IMG][/IMG]

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Hello Mate; Very nice, but ET33?
    If you want the wheel to have the same backspace as a stock VW beetle wheel; the offset would need to be something like ET-20 (minus 20), so the offset is way off, and that is what you'll find with any number of modern alloys you'll find online.

I love the wheel, but you'll need a stud pattern adapter and ~2 inch spacers to fit it to the car, which isn't great.

If you are at the chassis build stage you can convert to Porsche + Chevy PCD which might open up more wheel choice for you: (www.vwheritage.com/ac6152843-empi-rear-brake-disc-with-5x130-or-5x475in-stud-pattern-vw-spare).

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Hi steve, yeh i know 9's would be too wide at the front, i'm just trying to get an overall image of what i'm looking at as its all still at the planning/costing and dont tell the missus stage lol
    this is what i'm looking at looks like they only come in 9's and i'd need american ford adapters to fit them
    Cosmis XT206R Wheels 18x9 ET33 5X114.3- BLACK CHROME