Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Standard VW box

Standard VW box

Hi all,
    I've had an email from someone who is looking for information on the standard VW gearbox bolted to the aircooled, asking about what sort of max power figures could go through it before causing massive damage.

Anyone have any information on this subject?

Thanks in advance.
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Isn't it one of the really tough bits that doesn't need much attention? (Isn't Bushboy running a standard box) One thing that does get overlooked is the clutch plate, my stepson built up a 1348 Mini race-engine which ran sweetly, then destroyed the gearbox (and engine since they share oil) because the standard clutch couldn't take all the extra power and disintegrated very destructively. That may be irelevant to Beetles but I just thought I'd stick it in for historical reasons and to annoy him......
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!

Wasn't someone running a V8 mated to a standard box on here a while back.
    Phi 1.618 is more universal than pi 3.142

Indeed they did and a V6 2.2L engine, I have a 1641 stage 3 engine on a standard 1303 box with swing arms and a Kennedy 1700 clutch on a 12.5Lb flywheel. Rule of thumb seems to be about 120hp max to be safe under all conditions.
    I blew up a 1200 box with a 1600 engine, totally stuffed reverse whilst doing doughnuts on grass..

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Been running a 1.8t turbo Subaru XT engine bolted to a standard Beetle gearbox. But I run a 1800 Heavy Duty Kombi clutch. Seems to hold up well. Though I've changed to an after market 'box. Just because I could (and the old one was on it's last legs).

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    totally stuffed reverse whilst doing doughnuts on grass..
    maybe doing doughnuts in reverse was a bad idea??

I've heard that the 'standard' box can handle up to 150bhp, but not without some assistance to help shock loading the mounts if your using that power/torque to launch off the line in drag racing or similar.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Just what I was after thanks all.
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!

Better late than never. The 2.5L V6 has a quoted BHP of 170. It has been attached to the std (IRS) gearbox for 5 years and 41,000 miles. It has seen a few poser starts and quite a bit of wheel spinning. THe box was rebuilt when I first started the Eureka build over lots of years ago (20 ish). It is running a std clutch plate & stage 2 KEP pressure plate.

Curent condition:
    Front mounting knackered (NFG) but I cant be bothered to change it just yet
    It will throw out of 2nd gear when you lift off after full throttle acceleration.
    It is becomming hard to get into gear some times.
    It is still quiet

I believe that most of the damage to gear boxes is caused by excessive use of the right foot.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    I believe that most of the damage to gear boxes is caused by excessive use of the right foot.
    ^This

My reasoning was that as long as I wan't intending to put a turbo nutter scooby engine in then the std box would be okay.
    I don't intend to be a traffic light GP competitor however. Not sure it'd be happy with abuse from the 2.5.

If one day I do want to run a turbo lump then I'll get the bits from subarugears in Aus to use a scooby box with reversed ring and pinion etc. Not cheap, but cheaper than a Porsche G50 box which would be the other realistic option.
    Never be afraid to stand out from the crowd!

Sorry, just realised I resurrected a 3 year old thread
    Never be afraid to stand out from the crowd!