Thread: Gear lever loose

Gear lever loose

Hi my gear lever is mad wobbly and loose as it has the extension on it. I was told before its a pin or spring that it needs to fix. Has anyone else had same problem or know what it is ? Thanks

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Not sure what you mean by 'Extension'...?
    There is a Nylon bush in the main tube just behind the gear lever.
    If it isn't holding the shift rod firmly enough that could be your problem.

Google "vw beetle gear shift bush"

gearshiftbush.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Not sure what you mean by 'Extension'...?
    There is a Nylon bush in the main tube just behind the gear lever.
    If it isn't holding the shift rod firmly enough that could be your problem.

Google "vw beetle gear shift bush"

gearshiftbush.jpg
    From what was told the original gear lever would be back behind the handbrake so an attachment was put on to make it further up like in my pic. Will have a look for that bush. Thanks a million for help 😊

The gear lever is moved back on the tunnel rather than an extension being added. It never would have been behind the hand brake it would have been further forward instead.

There should be a spring fitted into the cup the gear lever fits into You will know if this is missing when you undo the two bolts that hold the gear lever in place.

If the nylon bush is missing it will cause gear selector difficulties - the bush itself is readily available for just a few quid but is a real bugger to try and fit as the selector rod needs to be removed from the tunnel to enable the bush to be fitted. Even with the body off it's tricky (as me how I know) and with the body on you will need to cut a hole in the fibreglass just behind the battery in order to withdraw the rod from the front of the tunnel. But with a bit of luck it may just be a missing spring which is an easy fix
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Oh I'm not looking forward to doing this but thanks a mill for info. It's been very helpful 😊

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    It could be as simple as a loose bolt on the plate holding the gearstick / spring?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    It could be as simple as a loose bolt on the plate holding the gearstick / spring?
    Going to garage tomorrow where car is and will have look then thanks martinB hope it's that. Fingers crossed 😊