Thread: Crunching gears when changing down to 2nd

Crunching gears when changing down to 2nd

My gearbox often crunches when changing down from 3rd to second gear. I believe it's accidentally hitting reverse as reverse and 2nd are very close when it comes to selcting. I have checked the gear lever mount plate and it is fitted correctly with the "ski jump" at the drivers side and the square lip at the passenger side. I've also tried moving the plates position still to no avail.

The sterling build manual (http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/downloads...ion_manual.pdf)
    mentions this very problem and the solution given is to adjust a set screw just above the ball of the selector but mine doesn't have this feature?

Any suggestions?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I had some difficulties with gear changes when I first got the Avante on the road. Did the same as you and checked the gear leaver mount plate and it was correctly located and adjusted, but just to eliminate it when I had no other idea I bought a new one. Looking at the 2 side by side I could not see a physical difference but fitting it cured the problem. I guess it had worn at some point. For the price might be worth changing it to see if it works or at least eliminate that as the problem.

Dirk

Thanks Dirk

I have taken your advice and ordered a new stop plate

I shall follow your progress with interest. My car catches between reverse & second as well...I put it down to a bad driver (too many years of driving an automatic)!

If I'm careful I can get a clean change from 3rd to second, so it may be driver related after all.

Success!! The new stop plate arrived today and the "Ski Jump" is noticeably taller than on the existing plate (which I am assuming had worn itself down). With the new plate in place I can no longer accidentally engage reverse without first pushing down on the gear lever.

Thanks Dirk

IMG_8300[1].jpg

New stop plate is at the top

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    That's excellent news Phill. There's quite a difference between the old and the new!! Low cost solutions are very satisfying!

Alistair

Nice to see you have fixed the issue. Another point to check is the rubber union that attaches the gear leaver shaft to the gearbox. I had a similar issue where 2nd was hard to get & found the grub screw on this union was loose.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Success!! The new stop plate arrived today and the "Ski Jump" is noticeably taller than on the existing plate (which I am assuming had worn itself down). With the new plate in place I can no longer accidentally engage reverse without first pushing down on the gear lever.

Thanks Dirk

IMG_8300[1].jpg

New stop plate is at the top

Mine was less noticeable but still gave me trouble glad its sorted.

Dirk

My plate was fine, just mounted upside down (ski jumps were inside the transmission tunnel)! Flipped it so the ski jumps are now on the top. It's like a different car. The gear change is really easy. Not sure the short shift plate is completely necessary though.