Thread: VW Golf BBS Monza Alloys?

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar

VW Golf BBS Monza Alloys?

Hi all,

I'm just fantasizing here ...

I was at a customer's house today, and the 17" BBS Monza alloys on her old VW Golf caught my eye. I took a photo and did a rough mock up when I got home.

17inch Golf wheels.jpg

Here's the original photo from 1990 with the slot mags ....

osa 101h about 1990.jpg

I like my original slot mags, but at just 14" the tyre choices are limited. I'm a long way off replacing them, but thought I'd post a couple of photos to ask what you all think, and of course, other suggestions are welcome!

Cheers, Alistair

I much prefer the slot mags and also have 14's. tiers are still available but yes, limited choice & usually quite expensive.

I also like the deep dish and would love to find a taller rim that I like.

If you are only going to drive it occasionally then stick with the 14's, they suit it better and limited milage will mean limited wear on the expensive 14 inch tyres.

So ends my 14 inches worth

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

I prefer the old style wheels with the high profile tyres. Another point to consider is the higher profile tyres on the 14" rims will help to soften your suspension whereas the low profile wheel and tyre combination will tend to harden what is probably already a hard ride due to the lower weight of the Nova over the Beetle
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Some Temptation for you ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/292680671510?chn=ps

I have not done the maths but the wheels are ET51 - spacers required.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

I've taken my head out of the clouds and decided to focus on the more immediate jobs tonight. There's so much to do before I get to the 'pretty stuff', so I've ordered some of the more mundane bits and pieces like 10.9 high tensile bolts for the front beam, including a longer one for the stripped thread issue, VW washers for the floorpan/body bolts, and split axle boot kits for the transaxle. The more I look at this the more small bits and pieces will be needed!

I'm still thinking about fitting coilovers, so I've also emailed Limebug and Red9 to get advice on whether or not I could fit their 'through bars' to my front beam, which is fitted with 'Avis Style' adjusters.

Hoping to make some more progress with the floorpan drops at the weekend and will post some photos.

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    You are allowed to dream.
    Personally I think '5-Spoke' style wheels, like the Monza, suit the Nova.
    There are also quite a few on the market and price is decent.
    Anyway, that's all well and good ... you can now power-up your welder and get back to work ;-)
    BTW I'm liking the coil-overs idea

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    You are allowed to dream.
    Personally I think '5-Spoke' style wheels, like the Monza, suit the Nova.
    There are also quite a few on the market and price is decent.
    Anyway, that's all well and good ... you can now power-up your welder and get back to work ;-)
    BTW I'm liking the coil-overs idea
    Thanks Steve. I've just asked Mostin (via the Forum) what he thinks of his set up, which is similar to yours because he's now got experience of being on the road. The key issue seems to be spring ratings (as highlighted and calculated by Lauren .... what would we do without her?!)

Cheers, Alistair

PS ... Whilst I know you contracted out your chassis/welding work to a truly excellent company (Flatlands) I get the feeling you'd like to try some welding for yourself. If you're ever up my way please get in touch and I'll happily let you power up my welder and help me with my Nova ;-)