Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nova bonnets to go

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    I've been looking for a Mk1 bonnet for several years with no success. So many thanks to Jim for agreeing to cut the nostrils from his old spare Mk1 bonnet and send them to me.

I've not yet decided whether to repair them and graft them into my Mk2 bonnet, or use them to produce moulds to make new nostrils which I would then graft in. Using them to make moulds would allow others (... Phill?) to do the same, but don't all rush at once because I've not touched my Nova since July and there are lots of other more pressing jobs to get on with.

Anyway, thanks again to Jim!

Alistair

Seriously though, I think your best bet is to use them to create moulds, you can then cut holes in your existing bonnet, attach the moulds in place, then glass in from the underside forming the new nostrils in situ on the bonnet. Once you remove the moulds the newly created nostrils should be grafted seamlessly to the bonnet minimising any sanding and filling. Trying to graft the existing nostrils on would be much more difficult.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbybrown View Post
    I happen to know someone that could mix you the paint and send it over
    Thanks Dan, Iíll bear that in mind.

I started following your businessís Facebook page when you put up the short video of your Nova and I have to say Iím really impressed with the quality of your companyís work!

Thanks Alistair.
    We have a Lotus Elan shell in at the moment for a full prep and paint, one of the guys has been on it solidly for over a week and itís about due for primer now, that will be a good one for the Facebook page!

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Seriously though, I think your best bet is to use them to create moulds, you can then cut holes in your existing bonnet, attach the moulds in place, then glass in from the underside forming the new nostrils in situ on the bonnet. Once you remove the moulds the newly created nostrils should be grafted seamlessly to the bonnet minimising any sanding and filling. Trying to graft the existing nostrils on would be much more difficult.
    I like your thinking Phill. Sounds like an excellent plan!

If you look back through Mostins post you will find he cut out his nostrils, spun them round then refitted them in a day 😊
    Go for it and start cutting .....

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    If you look back through Mostins post you will find he cut out his nostrils, spun them round then refitted them in a day 😊
    Go for it and start cutting .....
    I know Mark, and Dirk did the same on his old red Nova, but thereís a split on the driverís nostril and both have cracks in the gel coat so Iíd rather use them to make a mould ... and then both Phill and I (and potentially others) will get the benefit.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    It was actually Lauren that needs the credit for being the first to spin them and i just copied her.

Dirk

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk