Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cimbria SS, Subaru Powered

Cimbria SS, Subaru Powered

I am unable to continue documenting my build on sterlingkitcars.com due to site being shot down. It's shame, a lot of good information will be lost if it is a permanent shutdown.

I am currently in a process of building a Cimbria SS. It will be powered by a Subaru WRX engine and Subaru 5-Speed transmission with subarugears flipped differential.

I've started with 1973 VW chassis and Porsche 914 engine mated to 091 VW bus transaxle. All parts were freshly rebuild and meant to go into Ferrari Dino kit car but due to very poor condition of the body that never happen. Upon acquiring Cimbria kit car, the plan was to transplant it onto that setup. But unfortunately 914 engine did not fit well in the Cimbria. So always being a fan of Subaru cars I've decided to sell Porsche 914 engine and VW bus transaxle in favor of Subaru drivetrain. I acquired a new old-stock WRX engine and low mileage 5-speed transmission. Also purchased a flipped differential from subarugears. I modified the trans and mated it to the engine. Spent few month during winter time working on modifying Subaru harness for the rear engine setup. Engine turned on the first time. I do have a video on youtube and it sounds mean (no exhaust)

20171126_134039[1].jpg20171126_133853[1].jpg20171126_134159[1].jpg20171126_134212[1].jpg

This is a 1973 VW chassis with 2"x4" tubular perimeter frame and Subaru drivetrain. Such tubular frame allows me to use a bolt on Aluminum floor and have a full 4" drop floor.

20160821_092515[1].jpg

Subaru harness converted for rear engine setup

20170228_234912[1].jpg

Unfortunately as can be seen in the side view photo of the Cimbria, the rear wheel is too far back and rubbing on the body. The other side is perfectly centered. I've since installed Aluminum trailing arms from Porsche 944 hoping that additional adjustment would cure this problem. But unfortunately the issue was a bent rear torsion tube due to previous accident or misuse. So I've decided to get rid of VW chassis altogether and build a full tubular chassis.
    Last edited by Sector; 12-11-2018 at 02:59 AM.

Here is what I have so far.

Attachment 2945

Rear suspension will be from Porsche 944 turbo. This arrangement will give me fully adjustable trailing arms, disc brakes, sway bar and ability to use coilovers . For the front suspension I will be using A-Arm Independent Front Suspension (IFS) with coilovers.
    Last edited by Sector; 12-11-2018 at 02:59 AM.

Looks very promising; shame the Sterling site is down... would be interesting to see the previous work done.
    Look forward to your progress here! `¬)

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sector View Post

Attachment 2945

Rear suspension will be from Porsche 944 turbo. This arrangement will give me fully adjustable trailing arms, disc brakes, sway bar and ability to use coilovers . For the front suspension I will be using A-Arm Independent Front Suspension (IFS) with coilovers.
    This looks like an ambitious build ... looking forward to seeing your progress!
    Cheers, Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sector View Post

Attachment 2945

Hi Sector, Nice update; good to hear what you are up to.
    I could see your other pictures - but not this one, can you repost please?

Sector, The sterling site's loss is our gain, good to see you posting here.

for the others at the Nova site it was Sectors posts on the sterling site that inspired me to have a go a re-configuring my scooby loom, which is err....... not going anywhere fast due to lack of time.

Be ready for more questions sector

You will also find a few Scooby Nova's here Jim, Dirk (OK it's an Avante), Martin, and one of mine

I'm trying to convince Brett to come over an post here too

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Hi Sector and welcome as David said our gain to have such a good build thread I am looking forward to following your progress.

Dirk

Thank you all for kind words and encouragement. After reviewing many build threads, I must say, you have a very knowledgeable and handy group of enthusiast on this site. I am also looking forward following some of the builds.
    Today, I had to stay home with kids, so I was able to squeeze in few hours working on the chassis. To be able to move chassis around I've decided to temporarily attach VW front end. This will also be helpful when it's time to take measurements for the IFS. I also, did a fit check of Porsche rear torsion tube.

20181112_180859.jpg

20181112_180732.jpg

20181112_180817.jpg

20181112_181004.jpg

Rear end will be attached to the chassis with 8 bolts as in Porsche 944.
    Last edited by Sector; 13-11-2018 at 02:50 AM.