Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Cimbria SS, Subaru Powered

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    The Cimbra must be a wider bodyshell than the Nova, your wheels look great,
    but on a Nova, anything over 295 wide at the rear looks a bit 'Carlos Van Dango'
    Depends on other factors like offset as well of course.

In case that is a UK only reference, here is the link https://youtu.be/nqqZ28m8uCo

To my understanding Cimbria is only 2 inches wider overall than Nove/Sterling. But I am also using late model Porsche 944 aluminum trailing arms that are 1.25" wider than early model aluminum trailing arms. So I figured based on those facts Nova/Sterling would be able to run that size tire as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fit checked Sterling luvers. Follows body shape well but needs to be extended to cover entire opening.

rps20191110_203313.jpg
    rps20191110_203407.jpg
    rps20191110_203432.jpg

I orginally wanted to go with 345 tires but settled with 325 as I was able to get them on sale. So the rear set is 325/30R19 and front's are 245/35R19. They are Copper Zeon RS3-S. I could not install front tires as existing bolt pattern is wrong size.

I am now at no turning back point for the front suspension as I cut off VW suspension to prepare for double wishbone front suspension.
    Last edited by Sector; 16-05-2020 at 02:35 PM.

I am finally close to finishing the chassis. Little more welding and should be ready for paint.

WOW! Could you share the design specs for that chassis please?

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Looking very tidy - good work

Gaisa,
    Not sure exactly what specs you are interested in but here is general info.

The chassis is considered from 14 gauge steel tubing. Center section is 4"×4", the perimeter frame and rear section is 2"×4". The front and cross braces are 2"×3". Such design provides a lot of rigidity while keeping the weight low. Without drivetrain and suspension parts I can easily lift it with another person. This chassis is so stiff that jacking under any corners lifts the other two corners.

Rear suspension including torque tube, trailing arms and brakes are from 1987 Porsche 944 Turbo.

Front Suspension is from Alston Chassisworks. It uses wilwood disc brakes and manual rack and pinion. This suspension suits our application since unequal length lower control arms are forward facing like in Lotus cars.

Adjustable Koni coilovers are used at 4 corners.

Let me know what other info you would like to know.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    What a beast of a chassis Sector! Stunning!! Looks totally solid and functional.

What's the score with registering the vehicle for use on the road in the USA? Over here in the UK if you use the original VW chassis you just need to get an MOT (routine vehicle roadworthy test for about £55) but if you do something as radical as yours you need to submit it for an IVA (Individual Vehicle Approval) test which costs over £500 and is much more detailed!

Absolutely 1st class work!

Alistair

I already have title in my name. Also vehicles over 25 years old are exempt from complete inspection. So no problem with registration.

Quote Originally Posted by Sector View Post
    Gaisa,
    Not sure exactly what specs you are interested in but here is general info.

The chassis is considered from 14 gauge steel tubing. Center section is 4"×4", the perimeter frame and rear section is 2"×4". The front and cross braces are 2"×3". Such design provides a lot of rigidity while keeping the weight low. Without drivetrain and suspension parts I can easily lift it with another person. This chassis is so stiff that jacking under any corners lifts the other two corners.

Rear suspension including torque tube, trailing arms and brakes are from 1987 Porsche 944 Turbo.

Front Suspension is from Alston Chassisworks. It uses wilwood disc brakes and manual rack and pinion. This suspension suits our application since unequal length lower control arms are forward facing like in Lotus cars.

Adjustable Koni coilovers are used at 4 corners.

Let me know what other info you would like to know.

Very nice, and have you drawn up any plans?

I'm curious and could possibly do the same or something similar myself, but I believe others may potentially consider using your design for their own projects.

In my case, I would consider merging as much of the original VW beetle chassis as possible into your design as possible to keep the original vin plate.
    Last edited by Gaisa; 17-09-2020 at 04:32 PM.