Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Canopy power lift system

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Yes, that's working now mate;

Although I was hoping that it would be a Vid of you doing doughnuts in your 'Baked bean' Nova, while your family looks on incredulously, that's the video we all want to see.

I think you will find it very difficult to sync the two motors even if they are identical. linear actuators have a separate module if you need 2 of them to sync.

Dirk

Near as dam it. I don't think it would cause a problem if 1//2 second out over the width of a canopy-.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Its a lot quieter than yours also

It came out of a 2008 Chrysler Town and Country.
    Mine are noisy for sure, looking to see where it comes from, motor or gears, I suspect gears, will pack more grease in and see, someday. Still liking the idea of hydraulic but with an accumulator and electronic valves.

Two a penny here, not, I will look at what is in the scrapyard similar but not holding out much hope.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I think you will find it very difficult to sync the two motors even if they are identical. linear actuators have a separate module if you need 2 of them to sync.

Dirk
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Near as dam it. I don't think it would cause a problem if 1//2 second out over the width of a canopy-.
    I have gone to the yards here and pulled another unit and at the end of its travel when opening the two are just about even and when closing they are just about 10mm out from each other so I'm thinking once put under a load the two units should work out ok.

I'm sure that even the hydraulic systems are not a matched setup.
    Ever watch WW2 aviation movies?? As the planes take off one landing gear comes up faster than the other side. Thats because the hydraulic pump is closer to one side than the other and there is a lower pressure drop in that one side so that gear comes up faster than the side farther away from the pump.

At least thats my story and I'm sticking to it

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Mine are noisy for sure, looking to see where it comes from, motor or gears, I suspect gears, will pack more grease in and see, someday. Still liking the idea of hydraulic but with an accumulator and electronic valves.

Two a penny here, not, I will look at what is in the scrapyard similar but not holding out much hope.
    Dodge Grand Caravan also have the same unit in them

If I could find that Volvo unit again I'd be interested in seeing if that would have potential, but the yards here don't get them here that often.
    That might be an option for you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post

Dirk
    I looked at the Linak sync'ing module when I purchased my actuators, it adds some bulk to the actuator itself, and makes the wiring more complex (I forget the cost now but - I believe it was pricey as well), I chose not to go down that route.

So my actuators run independently and could get out of sync (i.e. one faster than the other).
    My opinion is that the Linak actuators are superb pieces of kit and I won't have issues, however if my wiring fails or one actuator jams and the other one runs on, it will put some pretty severe strain on the canopy & hinges, depending on how quickly I notice and power-off.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    however if my wiring fails or one actuator jams and the other one runs on, it will put some pretty severe strain on the canopy & hinges, depending on how quickly I notice and power-off.
    When looking for a new system that was a concern of mine also.

This system has (I think) three features in it that in case of some malfunction, will stop(at any point of its operation) and the drive unit will disengage releasing any force being applied by the system. You will then still have the gas struts functioning to allow you to raise and lower the canopy(oem style) so you can get in or out of the car with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I looked at the Linak sync'ing module when I purchased my actuators, it adds some bulk to the actuator itself, and makes the wiring more complex (I forget the cost now but - I believe it was pricey as well), I chose not to go down that route.

So my actuators run independently and could get out of sync (i.e. one faster than the other).
    My opinion is that the Linak actuators are superb pieces of kit and I won't have issues, however if my wiring fails or one actuator jams and the other one runs on, it will put some pretty severe strain on the canopy & hinges, depending on how quickly I notice and power-off.
    Make sure they are on the same fuse, if one jams and blows a fuse they both stop preventing the canopy twisting

Got an email asking why I moved the drive mechanism between run times.

This was to show that once the unit reached the end of its travel the drive unit shuts down and then disengages and the point of connection moves freely along the rails so you can open or close the canopy manually if needed.

And of course if there is a power failure the drive system will not engage or stay engaged.