Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canopy power lift system

had a couple of hours to kill before the grand kids get here so I took off to the salvage yard to see if they had anything new I could use.

Found another power unit that was smaller than the ones I have so I pulled it.

P3120006.jpg

P3120007.jpg

This unit operates just like the other ones.

If it proves to be better than the ones I have I'll go back to the yard and pull the rest of the system.

Interesting I never knew how those rear door closing mechanisms worked (chain driven). By the look of the size of the gearbox attached to the electric motor it gets a lot of mechanical advantage from the gears to give it lifting / pulling force
    Last edited by islandman; 13-03-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Interesting I never knew how those rear door closing mechanisms worked (chain driven). By the look of the size of the gearbox attached to the electric motor it gets a lot of mechanical advantage from the gears to give it lifting / pulling force
    this is the first version I have found that operates with a chain. All others have used gears.

Not sure about the chain though. Looks like a problem waiting to happen if it breaks. But it is the smallest I've found that operates in a linear motion. The other versions that I've found use an arm that moves in a rotation motion so they need more room for the arm to clear things.

Bottom one is the one that uses the arm that rotates.

P3120008.jpg

Each unit has enough lifting force to lift the canopy by itself but because the two lifting hinges of the canopy are not connected to each other two units will have to be used.

They are neat looking contraptions. Other than stretch I don't think the chains would cause too may issues as long as they were lubricated & didn't get wet constantly.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

I was able to got to the dismantling yard today to pull the rest of the parts needed but around here if you snooze you loose. What I mean by that is if you don't get everything you need the first time your there there will be a good chance it wont be there or it'll be broken when you go back and thats what happen.

Don't know when I'll have another free day to go back and see if they have new inventory.

Found the parts I needed to get the system working

Videos are poor quality because I could only send a file less than 20mb to David and he posted them to you tube.
    Thanks David.

The sound breaks up because of the poor quality. To get it to play with no issues the file was over the limit to send( 50mb )and I couldn't send that.
    Once the system stops the clutch disengages and it goes into manual mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf-B...A&feature=yout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJoU...ature=youtu.be

Thanks again to David
    Last edited by Brett; 25-04-2019 at 10:28 AM.

One thing I'd like to point out on this system is it has 2 speeds.

There is a slow speed for when the unit is opening and closing so the system doesn't jar the shit out of the canopy in the opening and closing stages then it speeds up for the in between travel.

Looking forward to seeing how you implement this in your car. Keep the updates coming.

Dirk

Now that I have the system up and running and I know what the travel distance of the drive unit is and what the delta angle for the lifting arms needs to be to be fully open and closed I can start doing the calculations for where on the lifting arms the connection point needs to be for the drive unit to the lifting arms.

I can also start looking at what new gas struts will fit also since I know now what the compressed distance and extended distance will be needed for the new location of the gas struts.