Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canopy power lift system

If this works its going to be the first time in 38 years since there was an alternative to manual only gas rams, hydraulics or linear actuators for the canopy. This will be interesting, the theory all looks promising.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    One thing I'd like to point out on this system is it has 2 speeds.

There is a slow speed for when the unit is opening and closing so the system doesn't jar the shit out of the canopy in the opening and closing stages then it speeds up for the in between travel.
    I like the sound of that - great idea.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Me too - I remember seeing a video of a Nova (or more probably a Sterling) with a pneumatic lift system. Man, that was violent!
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Had a couple of rainy days here so I had some time to work on the car. As I mentioned in another thread, winter time is when I get the outdoor projects done so not much is getting done on the car. When it gets hot out I then switch to my personal projects.

Spent some time getting the electronics sorted out so the system would work properly with 2 drive motors.
    The easiest solution I thought would be to simply splice the second drive motor unit into the other motor but for some reason the control module didn't like that.

Got it figured out and now both drive units work together, however one unit moves just a little faster than the other. Might be because of some bad splices. Voltage maybe just a little less on one side than the other causing one side to move faster than the other. I'll check it out when I get some time. Another possibility is, I noticed that the two motors were made by different companies and the motors are not matched. Next time I go to the yards I'll get one made from the same manufacturer and see if that works.

On a FYI(for your information) note

I wired the drive unit directly to power with no control module and no sensors just to see what would happen.

It can be done and the system will work however the opening and closing speed just about doubles. I checked the voltage with the module in place and the motor gets around 6v then drops to around 2.5v when it gets close to reaching the end of its travel.
    Without the module you have just one speed(fast)
    Last edited by Brett; 25-02-2020 at 02:47 AM.

Looks very interesting, about the same speed as my 8" linear actuators but much stronger.

What are they from again?

I don't think I could use that unit as they would have to fit behind the seat working behind my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIT4AoMtvis

In my 'spare time' I have been looking at a small accumulator powered system with a small silent pump from a power steering system, (Porsche, MB etc) into an accumulator operated by electric valves, this would give instant power rather than relying on the pump to push the rams.
    Last edited by Peter; 27-02-2020 at 10:30 AM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Blog Entries
    Hmmm I can't see the Vid, I am logged into YT …

I am getting "Video Unavailable - This video is private"

Same error when I copy-paste the YouTube URL into a browser :-(

Vid_Error.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Looks very interesting, about the same speed as my 8" linear actuators but much stronger.

What are they from again?
    Its a lot quieter than yours also

It came out of a 2008 Chrysler Town and Country.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Hmmm I can't see the Vid, I am logged into YT …

I am getting "Video Unavailable - This video is private"

Same error when I copy-paste the YouTube URL into a browser :-(

Vid_Error.jpg
    ...same here `¬(
    Asks me to sign in first as well...

I've no idea why I am afraid

uploaded again, try this

Last edited by islandman; 28-02-2020 at 10:26 AM.