Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Canopy Side Windows

  1. #21
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Peter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Estepona, Spain
    Posts
    4,237
    That is the same as the Eagle SS system, works quite well as a vent but no good if paying the 3€ at the toll booth, door up for that.

    When using 4mm poly' one can bend the top rear corner away quite a bit, no so with the normal 3mm glass of course. (I am missing one side).
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

    http://ukhozi.page.tl

  2. #22
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,580
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by tekmark View Post
    planing the design for my side windows some kind of vent is necessary

    my idea is to open the whole screen with sun roof hinges
    from the front leading edge to only 2 inches with the sunroof handle
    4mm polycarbonate
    i have seen this done and it looks really cool

    I am thinking about something similar for my build,
    maybe using toughened glass that is slightly curved to follow the contour of the window aperture.

    I plan on placing the door mirrors on (the pointy end) of the window aperture,
    they will encroach a few inches, so the window glass will be shorter that stock.

    Post some pics of your car man.

  3. #23
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    5,560
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I am thinking about something similar for my build,
    maybe using toughened glass that is slightly curved to follow the contour of the window aperture.
    Curved glass would look awesome (it is the one aspect of the Nova styling that looks cheap), but in the Mk1 at least, the window apertures are not the same side-for-side. The passenger side can take flat glass with no problem, but the drivers side requires the glass to sit proud at the pointy front or the opposite end. Some careful grinder work could smooth this out, but you would have to be careful to maintain the thickness of the mounting flange. Also, some reprofiling of the canopy roof might be required to restore the flush glazing.

    I remember that Giles had the same problem fitting toughened glass in his Mk2 canopy, so I suspect that the same asymmetry was carried over from the Mk1...

    Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

  4. #24
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    2,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post

    ............

    I remember that Giles had the same problem fitting toughened glass in his Mk2 canopy, so I suspect that the same asymmetry was carried over from the Mk1...

    Lauren
    Interesting, when I had my Nova respreayed blue in the late 1980's the guy who painted the car also took tinted toughened glass windows I'd bought 2nd hand and bonded them both in after the respray.

    Both sides stayed in place for several years until they eventually debonded.

    I'll also be looking for a satisfactory toughened glass solution for opening side windows ideally before I get my Nova roadworthy

    Alistair

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Curved glass would look awesome (it is the one aspect of the Nova styling that looks cheap), but in the Mk1 at least, the window apertures are not the same side-for-side. The passenger side can take flat glass with no problem, but the drivers side requires the glass to sit proud at the pointy front or the opposite end. Some careful grinder work could smooth this out, but you would have to be careful to maintain the thickness of the mounting flange. Also, some reprofiling of the canopy roof might be required to restore the flush glazing.

    I remember that Giles had the same problem fitting toughened glass in his Mk2 canopy, so I suspect that the same asymmetry was carried over from the Mk1...

    Lauren

    I had matching templates made up and bonded in with flat toughened glass, on the drivers and passenger side on the last Nova. Both were fitted with a decorative trim similar to the style Islandman, Buffy and I had on our windscreens. No canopy alterations to accommodate flat glass. No opening sections but they did have holes cut out to allow pop it vents to be used which are very effective at encouraging airflow in combination with opening the sunroof slightly. That said my heater was so effective I often used them spun around to allow warm air to escape!

    You can see the trim here:

    https://flic.kr/p/2jymkni

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Nr New Quay, Ceredigion
    Posts
    1,634
    I got my side windows made by this company..

    https://www.plastics4performance.com/

    I sent them templates and asked for a black border and vent inserts to be fitted. They were not cheap but superb quality and looked the part.
    For info, many GT40 owners prefer detachable windows, especially for racing, which is why they have screws to hold the windows in place. They also can have wind deflectors so in a warm day, glass out and deflectors on so you don’t have to drive in a sweat box!!!

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    I got my side windows made by this company..

    https://www.plastics4performance.com/

    I sent them templates and asked for a black border and vent inserts to be fitted. They were not cheap but superb quality and looked the part.
    For info, many GT40 owners prefer detachable windows, especially for racing, which is why they have screws to hold the windows in place. They also can have wind deflectors so in a warm day, glass out and deflectors on so you don’t have to drive in a sweat box!!!
    Could we have pictures when you get them

    Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Nr New Quay, Ceredigion
    Posts
    1,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Staals View Post
    Could we have pictures when you get them

    Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

    http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...machine/page51

    They were fitted over 4 years ago!

  9. #29
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    5,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    For info, many GT40 owners prefer detachable windows, especially for racing, which is why they have screws to hold the windows in place. They also can have wind deflectors so in a warm day, glass out and deflectors on so you don’t have to drive in a sweat box!!!
    I like the idea of wind deflectors

    P4P said I had an attitude problem and cancelled my order (I had wondered why they were charging me for mould tooling when they had decided to use bonded flat polycarbonate instead), so I made my own - bought a few sheets of Lexan off of ebay, transferred the templates over and used a 1mm cutting disc on the angle grinder to cut them out. Used Wayside Adhesives polyurethane bonding adhesive, plus bonded window primer to do the black obscuration banding.

    When I spoke to Richard Oakes about the side windows he said that the inner and outer canopy skins were moulded with a slight bow (outer convex, inner concave) and were bonded together while still "green" so that as they cured they would pull the A-pillar straight, but in practice this rarely happened. So I guess there is some variability between individual canopies. What I do know is that my Elam Mk1 has an out-of-flat drivers side aperture, and so does Giles' Mk2...
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •