Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canopy Side Windows

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Canopy Side Windows

Hi everyone - a simple question, with no clear answer so far...

New Pilkington Automotive windscreen, factory bronze tint (probably 80% VLT, in line with current production cars).

Intention is to fit polycarbonate side windows, but can I find a matching tint? No - standard Lexan bronze tint is 50% VLT (legal limit for street use in the UK = 70% for vehicles used before 1985).

I cannot find a source of polycarbonate (or acrylic for that matter) tinted to standard production car levels (80% VLT or greater).

I don't want to attract a fine, or have to remove or replace my side windows. Equally, I don't want to use clear polycarbonate as it doesn't look right against the tinted windscreen.

What do I do

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

I have used these people in the past give them a try

http://centuryplastics.co.uk/

Dirk

Window tint film over the clear polycarbonate maybe

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Well, 3mm green tinted Perspex is a good match for the Pilkington Green tint windscreen,
    that is what I had on my car back in the day.

On that basis, this *might* be a match for your screen:
    https://www.sheetplastics.co.uk/3mm-...t-to-size.html

3mm Perspex is a bit wobbly however.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I have used these people in the past give them a try

http://centuryplastics.co.uk/

Dirk
    Thanks Dirk - looked promising, but bronze tint PALSUN product has 50% VLT, same as other polycarbonate suppliers (they do supply darker tints though, so at least there is some variety!)

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Window tint film over the clear polycarbonate maybe
    I have found one or two examples of 80% VLT window film, but always grey or black smoke colour and only for glass (polycarbonate requires a different type of film). Most tinters only do limo tint on the back windows

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Well, 3mm green tinted Perspex is a good match for the Pilkington Green tint windscreen,
    that is what I had on my car back in the day.

On that basis, this *might* be a match for your screen:
    https://www.sheetplastics.co.uk/3mm-...t-to-size.html

3mm Perspex is a bit wobbly however.
    I did wonder about this - for example, if 4mm bronze tint Lexan is 50% VLT, then in follows that if the thickness were halved, the VLT would improve by 25%? So your 3mm green tint may have been OK. As you say, 3mm is a bit thin, but if 3mm bronze is OK (I suspect it is probably still too dark) and could be obtained in polycarbonate instead of acrylic, I could fuse it to a 2mm clear sheet to make it more rigid. I believe this is how bullet-proof glazing is made up.

Interesting thoughts, thank you all for your inputs.

Lauren

I did a tint film on 4mm poly some years back when an idiot smashed the glass one but I was not happy with it, now looking to get a new glass one made. Being fixed in three locations to flip open a bit made the top rear corner prone to being levered open but if fitted in all round would be OK.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I did a tint film on 4mm poly some years back
    Hi Peter - was it ordinary tint film or a special "plastic friendly" variety? I have heard that polycarbonate outgasses, particularly when heated, which causes bubbles to form in the film. Even if you are not happy with the result, it would be interesting to hear how the film appears after a few years...

Latest research topic is synthetic fabric dyes, of which two (RIT and iDye Poly) are popular with the modelling community for tinting clear plastic parts... Doing a whole window could be a challenge though, especially if heating is involved (I've heard that you can do it cold too, but it takes a whole lot longer...)

My 50% bronze Lexan test piece has arrived, it looks sooooo good, and I have no issues making out details in the dark. Why does it have to be illegal???? It's so depressing

What about the spray used for making rear lights look black done with a light coat?

Dirk