Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canopy Side Windows

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    What about the spray used for making rear lights look black done with a light coat?

Dirk
    Thanks Dirk - yes, I have been looking at these products as well. I've actually ordered a can of Tamiya RC modelling paint, it is used to tint the windows on clear polycarbonate car bodies. The miniature results look very good, who knows how it will turn out at a larger scale, but as you say, I only need to apply a light misting. At least I know the tint will adhere to the polycarbonate.

They also say in the strictest terms not to paint plastic models with it, so it must have some decent active ingredients! Hopefully these will help the tint bond to the surface and give it some longevity...
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Hi Peter - was it ordinary tint film or a special "plastic friendly" variety? I have heard that polycarbonate outgasses, particularly when heated, which causes bubbles to form in the film. Even if you are not happy with the result, it would be interesting to hear how the film appears after a few years...

Latest research topic is synthetic fabric dyes, of which two (RIT and iDye Poly) are popular with the modelling community for tinting clear plastic parts... Doing a whole window could be a challenge though, especially if heating is involved (I've heard that you can do it cold too, but it takes a whole lot longer...)

My 50% bronze Lexan test piece has arrived, it looks sooooo good, and I have no issues making out details in the dark. Why does it have to be illegal???? It's so depressing
    I appeared blotchy and faded. looked very second hand after a couple of years.

I read the legal tint was 32% but then I read your bit about pre' 85. so dodn't know, I went for 32% in 1995.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Thanks Peter - the rules have changed I believe. Pre '85 is now 70% transmission for windscreen and front side windows. Post '85 is 75% minimum. It isn't being enforced by the MoT, instead the police have light meters to measure the transmissiblity, which means they can make a bob or two in the process...

Over here it's easy, NONE, on front windows, or it's so faint it's hardly noticeable, my Mercedes A class (from Belgium) is green but about 95% trans.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

That's what I am finding most frustrating, pretty much every modern car or van you can buy has tinted screen and front windows, but it is very subtle. However, when I look at the contrast between my front screen (legal bronze tint) and clear side windows the difference is very apparent.

You would think that suppliers would be able to provide tints in polycarbonate or cast acrylic that match these requirements, but even though acrylic has more colour choices, the depth of tint is still 50%

And yes, for some reason all the legal tints seem to be green/grey, not bronze...

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    That's what I am finding most frustrating, pretty much every modern car or van you can buy has tinted screen and front windows, but it is very subtle. However, when I look at the contrast between my front screen (legal bronze tint) and clear side windows the difference is very apparent.

You would think that suppliers would be able to provide tints in polycarbonate or cast acrylic that match these requirements, but even though acrylic has more colour choices, the depth of tint is still 50%

And yes, for some reason all the legal tints seem to be green/grey, not bronze...
    You want to look tanned when driving that cool machine

Aww, shucks .

Actually, if I could I would do the windows in reflective bronze just like the Alfa Carabo, but unfortunately I just couldn't get away with it on the road

F16 canopy is impregnated with gold to prevent acquisition radar from reflecting off surfaces in the cockpit. I knew there had to be a good reason for it, besides looking cool