Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: 009

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    The main reason I switched from VW to BL color code is V.W.P have all the colors so it all stays BL plus common red (+30), Green (+15) and white (ign) Black (ground). but each unto their own and in Brett's cae I guess a standard US code like GM would be better, no? Anyway, bit late in the day to change now. As long as you know what is what, and write it down.

Good to see progress ad looking forwsrd to seeing things come to gether.

It's like watching Spanish builders, it seems they take months to get to an unfinished stage and you think it will never get built and suddenly, overnight, whoosh, it is finished.
    The deciding factor of why I went with this wiring setup is because of the dash. Standard US code had nothing to do with choosing the wiring colours or size(gauge).
    The car that the dash came from uses 2 fuse boxes and a body control module. The main fuse box contained relays that are needed for some of the systems to operate and distributed the power , the central fuse box contained the fuses for some of the systems and received its power from the main fuse box and then some of the systems went through the body control module to operate. So that was the determining factor of how to go with the wiring.
    Staying with that wiring meant I didn't have to change the oem wiring diagrams. I have the oem wiring diagram manual so all the wiring diagrams are all ready done for me(if I didn't deviate from them). If I did have to change the wiring to a circuit all I needed to do is revise that one circuit.
    Just saved a lot of work in the long run.

So thats why it is what it is

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Going with a solid colour wire raises a "red flag" to let me know that I'm not using the oem colour wire.
    So you are saying that my red and black only wiring is no good?

Quote Originally Posted by vpogv View Post

If I had only 2 wires to work with I would have wiring nightmares

So far I've had only 2 mess ups. One was after I designated all wiring to the proper terminals, I found one wire left over for the dash that I missed. It was the ground(earth) for the radio. I Didn't have any extra leads on the ground terminals so I had to fix that.

Then I was wiring the fuel(petrol)door actuator only to realize I didn't allow where to get power from to operate the actuator. A search for where to get power from at the right amperage was on.

Having to much fun. Sometimes I think if I kept everything VW how simple the wiring would be and it would be done, But nooooo I had to make things more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    If I had only 2 wires to work with I would have wiring nightmares

So far I've had only 2 mess ups. One was after I designated all wiring to the proper terminals, I found one wire left over for the dash that I missed. It was the ground(earth) for the radio. I Didn't have any extra leads on the ground terminals so I had to fix that.

Then I was wiring the fuel(petrol)door actuator only to realize I didn't allow where to get power from to operate the actuator. A search for where to get power from at the right amperage was on.

Having to much fun. Sometimes I think if I kept everything VW how simple the wiring would be and it would be done, But nooooo I had to make things more complicated.
    Just think if you kept everything simple how dull life would be 😁

Sometimes it can be a desaster. I wired a unit into a Peogot once and black is earth, right? Not on this car, black was ignition as well as black being earth, great untill I turned on the igntion and burnt out that curcuit and had to remake the OEM loom with new black wire.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by vpogv View Post

when trick custom bugs were all the rage late 80’s to early 90’s there was a stunning oval window bug in pure white with red interior (inspired some future choices on my cars) and red underpinnings. Every, and yes I mean EVERY wire was bright red. Loom looked so cool under the bonnet, but imagine trouble shooting!

Testing session for the headlights didn't go to well.

Finally got the wiring done for them but when I turn the switch on only one retractable headlight went up and the lights didn't turn on. Plus when turned off the one light that went up didn't go back down. PLUS only one parking /side marker light went on(1 out of 4).

That certainly didn't make my day. I was hoping for a little more than that.

OK after double checking my wiring it all checked out, so for the side markers I first checked the obvious and the issue with them were bad bulbs. So that was an easy fix.

Checked the retractable headlight that wasn't working and after replacing the control module both went up but still didn't go down. Haven't solved that issue yet, as far as the headlights not going on, after tracing that issue down that system goes through the body control module so I'm thinking at this point I need to hook up the ignition switch and have it turned on for the lights to get power.

When I get some time thats the next step I'll try to fix this mystery.

After all that work its frustrating it doesn't go right first time. I'm sure you will get is diagnosed, but frustrating nevertheless.

Hopefully the remainder of the Gremlins are simple fixes also

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    After all that work its frustrating it doesn't go right first time. I'm sure you will get is diagnosed, but frustrating nevertheless.

Hopefully the remainder of the Gremlins are simple fixes also
    When combining 2 different systems(or more) there is always a chance of issues and I guess I'm not getting any breaks.
    Headlights now work. Ignition needs to be on, but they still don't go down

Front fog lights(auxiliary lights)work

Had to order new marker lights(can't replace just the bulbs, its a sealed unit)

Turn signals don't work. I did some modifications to them. They are also the side marker lights and when the turn signal is activated they are suppose to operate as turn signal also.

Horn doesn't work.

All these systems go through the body control module so when I get time maybe I'll by pass the BCM to see if they work then

Hi Brett,

I had to smile at your troubles. image having those problems everyday for 11 years, that was my job as a car accessory installer, you get good at tracking electrical problems, just basic logic in the end. Electrics are the biggest obstical at tjimes and the most common reason people don't show up at meetings.

Hope you don't pull out too many grey hairs in the process and it all works soon.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl