Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: 009

I think it's a great solution and it works which is the main thing, after all, it can't be seen when driving. nice job as always.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    That's a real shame considering the great work you did hiding the hinge pivot and removing the ram from display, it almost seams a backward step from the original setup now. I am sure given your skill set and imagination you can re engineer a better solution.

Dirk
    I could but I wont.
    I've spent years developing it to work in our cars and proved that it can be done. Done the research, the calculations, the fabrication, got it to work outside of the oem vehicle, spent an untold amount of money and time on it.
    I feel its a lot better system than anyone is using now. It has safety features in it so your not trapped inside if the system has a failure, It has power and manual open/close mode, Uses a key fob that has open/close and lock features(I will wire this in still), pinch sensors

But I have to move on to other parts of the car now. I got the power steering to install, I need to finish the AC/Heater install, get the gas tank installed, the wiring, etc.

David wont like this next post but I'm installing the exterior door handle.

Sorry David I decided to retain some of its old school looks but I did update the looks. I will install a drain tube so water will not fill up the cavity.

Question for those that eliminated the handle all together, What procedure and/or materials did you use to eliminate the cavity where the old handle went??

P7240001.jpg

P7240002.jpg

P7240003.jpg

Keep at it Brett. This all looks good and as much as I was thrilled to rid my canopy of the latch it appears yours is tastefully done (as with a lot of the car) and shouldn't detract.

When I got rid of the cavity I ground down the hump and laid a number of layers of mat in and around to build it up on the existing glass. Then a little filler to get it flat. I don't remember filling the cavity with anything prior to glass.

I like your solution Brett, but I've often wondered why the canopy mechanism used in the Puma gtv wasn't adopted by other versions of the Nova/Sterling as it seems a much simpler solution?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvwJbcXjs1Q
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Question for those that eliminated the handle all together, What procedure and/or materials did you use to eliminate the cavity where the old handle went?
    I simply cut my old section including the hump out, the used some fiberglass panel to fill the gap, glassed in around the edges and from underneath. skimmed with filler

Marked out the area to be cutout

P7250001.jpg

Made the cut

P7250002.jpg

Made the backing plate out of 1 layer of 1.5 ounce glass

P7250003.jpg

Used panel adhesive to bond it in place. Once cured I'll put as many layers of glass that it takes to bring it up even with the finished surface,

P7250004.jpg

Looking good, and so much more logical and structured than the way I did mine. It will blend in nicely, but still don't like the recesses handle

I flushed the door handle recesses on my doors decades ago but even though I have filled and rubbed down several times I can still see the outline, so annoying.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Glass cured

P7260001.jpg

Rough Sanded and recess for handle to sit in cut out
    P7260002.jpg

New release handle checked for fit
    P7260003.jpg

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    You are fearless with that jigsaw Brett, good work.