Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 009

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    That sounds like a terrific idea - failsafe too, if the engine or electrics should die, the canopy unlocks.

Seriously? Half a metric tonne of force, from only 0.5A? I will have to check those out...

Yes great whilst you are driving the car not sure I would want to go to Stones for a weekend with .5A battery drain whilst the car is locked and not being used.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by ratrog64 View Post
    Very cool Brett. Glad to see it come together for you.
    Yes after all the talk I'm finally putting the system in the car and have it work.

Quote Originally Posted by MicksRedNova View Post
    Brett

Have you considered Maglocks to hold the canopy closed? There are 12v ones that exert 550kgs (1200lbs) of holding force at only 500mA.

Mick
    I never considered it.

I suppose its an option.

I did a little research on them.
    Two things I don't like about it. One is there is no manual release. And two is the size of the unit.

I was not going to use the system that I have now at first because the release of the latch is all electric but I found that there is a lever on the latch to manually release it just encase the electronics fail. I want to make sure that under any circumstance you can get in or out of the car with no hesitation in case of an emergency.

I like the idea of the magnetic hold down. This could be incorporated with a switch or wired in with the ignition and is only pulling power when the car is running.

Here is one from ebay that offers about 110lbs / 50kg of straight pulling force. I would think that x2 is plenty to keep the canopy from wiggling around while driving.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-24V-50Kg...cAAOSw3axekTGB

also offered from Banggood for less money.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Yes great whilst you are driving the car not sure I would want to go to Stones for a weekend with .5A battery drain whilst the car is locked and not being used.
    Good point, but like Ratrog says, I was only considering using them when on the move. Even though I run the Smiths pump until the bypass valve opens, and have a Mk1 canopy with dowel pegs for location, the canopy still suffers from lateral "shimmy" on really bumpy surfaces, which is where some sort of magnetic latch might come in handy. There would still be a need for some basic means of securing the canopy when parked unattended.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

That particular one is 24v but there are some 12v ones that would do a great job at half the price too.
    I would recommend powering via a relay hooked up to the thin blue from the alternator so only on when engine is running.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Yes after all the talk I'm finally putting the system in the car and have it work.

I never considered it.

I suppose its an option.

I did a little research on them.
    Two things I don't like about it. One is there is no manual release. And two is the size of the unit.

I was not going to use the system that I have now at first because the release of the latch is all electric but I found that there is a lever on the latch to manually release it just encase the electronics fail. I want to make sure that under any circumstance you can get in or out of the car with no hesitation in case of an emergency.
    I believe all trunk/tailgate latches had to have an internal release for some years now.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I believe all trunk/tailgate latches had to have an internal release for some years now.
    Boot/trunk Yes but I haven't seen the same safety feature on tailgates. On the tailgates I've seen you would have to remove a panel to manually open the tailgate.

Postings seem to have slowed down a bit here so I thought I'd post something.

Well I wasn't going to do it(got lazy I guess) but With the persistence of Davids comments that the system needs to have a power pull down latch to totally bring the system into the 21st century so he has convinced me to install the pull down latch system.

As you can see the oem latch system is no small unit

P5290002.jpg

After moving things around I found a layout that would work(I had to relocate the power drive unit from its previous location to get the latch to fit)

P5310001.jpg

And after numerous trial and error attempts I ended up with this as a bracket for the striker(still not finished)

P6120001.jpg

Location for the striker to connect to the latch.

P6110001.jpg

And again with Davids suggestion a cover will be made to conceal the mounting hardware to the system so hopefully the system will look like some thought was put into it

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Boot/trunk Yes but I haven't seen the same safety feature on tailgates. On the tailgates I've seen you would have to remove a panel to manually open the tailgate.

As you can see the oem latch system is no small unit

P5290002.jpg
    Brett
    I’m sure you have already considered this, but if not then I suggest you include some sort of electrical lock-out that prevents the lift mechanism from operating if the latch hasn’t released (micro switch or similar) otherwise you risk the power of the lift mechanism tearing the latch mounting out.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Quote Originally Posted by MicksRedNova View Post
    Brett
    I’m sure you have already considered this, but if not then I suggest you include some sort of electrical lock-out that prevents the lift mechanism from operating if the latch hasn’t released (micro switch or similar) otherwise you risk the power of the lift mechanism tearing the latch mounting out.

Mick
    And what makes you think it doesn't already have sensors and safety devices in it to keep that from happening??

The latch has position and release sensors in it to relay back to the control module telling the module if the latch is in the closed or open position and if the striker is clear of the latch.
    Because the latch is the pull down style it also pushes the striker out of the latch and clears the striker from the latch when the open mode is activated. If the sensors don't detect that this has happened the power unit will not engage.

Also the button that activates the system when pushed again while the system is activated will shut the power unit down and disengage the unit.

That’s the beauty of taking a full system and control module from a donor, all the logic is built in rather than us having to devise it.

One thing the original system as installed in the donor probably had, which may not work in its transplanted situation is a “speed sensor” input into the control module. Many of these tailgate systems will still function at low speed (e.g. below 20 mph), but won’t at higher speeds. You could potentially see if your speed sensor input can be substituted.

On my own install for my hydraulic system I was worried that as I had a wireless remote control as one of my activating options a scenario could arise where I sat on the remote in my pocket and a button could be inadvertently pressed at speed! The last thing I wanted was the canopy opening at 70mph. So I installed the relay in such a way that it disabled the wireless remote controls relay power if the ignition was turned on (so it couldn’t activate), but the internal and external switches still operate.

I think your system is great, and when combined with the new hinge mechanism gives a nice clean install and tackles many of the limitations with hydraulic and linear actuator installs. I can’t wait to see the “pull down” latch in operation, as based on tailgates I’ve seen in operation it should squeeze down the canopy nicely to ensure a firm and watertight seal.