Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: jmd's sterling CCC#00551

jmd's sterling CCC#00551

well fella's and friends, i am happy to have found this great resource to share information & inspiration.

The super short story....
    Spent 5 years trying to find a factory built car that I had in my research heard about. So I hunted, then found (in mint condition)... my 'dream' car, flew out with a fist full of dollars, and picked this thing up and drove it home and have had it ever since.

Twelve years later, and I have started to upgrade, and redesign the weak bits, new chassis, some new glass and bits, and she will rip again.

look forward to sharing that process with the rest of you, as well as learning from all your experiences.

I am treating this rebuild as a ground up process and am looking forward to asking lots of questions.

stay tuned, and thanks for the resource.
    kindest regards!
    jmd
    jmd
    CCC | Sterling #00551
    Owner Since - well, a long time.

- the time has come to re-design / build her -
    - I can do this sort of stuff... http://www.exoticcustomchoppers.com now, so I have faith -

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Welcome JMD - I saw a black Sterling in Fla a few years back (somewhere between Cocoa Beach and Titusville I think) - looked really great in that Floridian sunshine!

...And with the high humidity and salty air making short work of metal cars, fibreglass does have it advantages!!!

Although I guess Orlando is less bothered by the salt

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Welcome, JMD!
    You really need to post photos of that car. Searching your profile, I went to the page http://www.cogknow.com/ and saw the one photo. Jon, you'll love the body mods. Very F50-ish front end, and I love the sculpted in wing.

More photos please!

Car mods / photos..

Gents,
    the black car found at cogknow com isn't my car, it is a hybrid concept painting of mods that I am doing to my car. I will have to dig out my old images and see what I can find....I used to have several of the car up at the old nova-international net in the gallery section but that has since died... so I just have to find them and share them here.

speaking of, if anyone knows how to get a copy of that huge gallery I will host it... it's sad that its not around anymore... had a ton of photos.

looking forward to sharing more concept art, design tweaks and photos as they come available...
    jmd
    CCC | Sterling #00551

- I can do this sort of stuff... http://www.exoticcustomchoppers.com now, so I have faith -

Actually, many of those photos are here on our galleries. You just have to take the time to search through each level. It's still being tweaked, as the site itself is still young!

I'm still amassing photos for the US site. Once I have enough to warrant a gallery section, I'll add one.

Rick

updates...

Gents,
    all the work that I have been seeing on other cars left me feeling a bit left out / totally motivated. I begin the process of the rebuild tomorrow.

Here are some old images to show what it was to start out with...

62' Swing-Axle Pan
    Dual Port 1600
    Front End Layout:

Stock round headlights
    Smiths Mini - pump
    Switch Blow fan unit
    Battery
    Misc. Bits.

Interior Layout:

Stitched vinyl through out. Black on Black
    Wood Dash Feat. Stewart Warner Gauges.
    Adjusted Shift and E-brake -10"
    Sunk Floor pan per Build Manual instructions. (riveted and scary as hell as speed)...

Dash Layout:

Spare bits from in and out pulled off the car for storage

Rear-louvre
    Interior Side Rest Trim Panels
    Head Light Covers
    Steering Wheel
    Hydro-rams x2
    Ducting and vents for air system...

Exterior (Sans motor and well, everything else.)

Not a seam in sight, all matched edges angles and smooth as a babe's bum. (sits high without weight in the back.)

With now broken windshield javascript:emoticon('')

Bad day in the garage with boxes all falling down... directly in front of the drivers side, from top to bottom...javascript:emoticon('')

Rear End in the new garage (with the front of my corrado peeking in...and pardon the fuzzy-ness)

Front End in same happy new place...

and last but not least.
    I have this original exhaust (reallllly nice fit under stock sterling rear end. Clean Looking, perfect tuck. Its a bit bashed on but I am not using bug motor this time and want to "keep this in the family" so to speak... anyone interested?

The body comes off and a rack gets built tomorrow.
    I will begin to rebuild the pan, add subframe, rebuild rear end with porsche turbo bits, huge brakes all around fanccy smancy misc. odds and ends... blah blah blah. I will just let it all speak for itself.

If you don't see more pictures coming soon, poke me in the ribs and remind me to shoot shots as anyone needs anything specific...

longest post of the day!
    the end.
    jmd
    CCC | Sterling #00551

Hi JMD, I've just edited your last post so that the pictures appear on the forum, you need to insert the last of the four photobucket urls: 'IMG Code' if you want the picture not the text address to come up! Nice project by the way!
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

progress...

Just a short update.
    The body is off the pan, moved into the back and the pan has been prep'd for removal of the corvair engine and the overall breakdown just before the new floor / subchassis is put together.

I will post photos this eve.
    jmd
    CCC | Sterling #00551

for critique.

up for critique, I know its dark, but its a concept piece.
    The images at the top right and left are the "Visual Target" for this build.
    The rest of the images show a comparison between the concept (F.1) and the blending of concept and original sterling (f.2-3) and finally the concept overlay-compared to both the stock sterling form, and the "Pagani-erling" as seen on youtube... ( Found Here http://youtube.com/watch?v=NMg8ohsREr8 )

Design objectives:
    Update design
    widen overall body mass
    shorten front end length by 4"
    keep street drivable, and safe
    support 300+ HP
    keep it practical and buildable.

Thoughts?
    (i know its not the same as the original, I tried to respect my love for the original lines, but make it both fresh, and my own...)
    jmd
    CCC | Sterling #00551

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    If your building skills are even half as good as your obvious expertise with Photoshop, your car should be a cracker!

Are you increasing the amount of "dihedral" on the front wings? It looks like they have increased crown in the renderings - that's good in that you can get your outboard headlamps higher off the ground. The bleed vents over the top of the wheel arches will also help airflow management at high speeds and gives interesting visual relief.

The frame looks good, particularly beefy around the transaxle brace, although for ultimate strength would it not be better to extend the cross-braces all the way up to the corners of the roll hoop? Also if you can, get the roll hoop formed on a mandrel as the welded 120° angles are stress-raisers. But now I'm being picky

What are you going to use for an engine? Scooby power or keeping it air cooled?

I can recommend offsetting the windscreen wiper motor to the driver's side and adding a secondary wiper blade below the main articulated blade. It clears far more of the screen in wet weather (which I know from experience Florida has ), and I have not noticed any lopsidedness in the canopy when open because of the weight offset.

More of your fabulous renderings soon please!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!