Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: 009

Thanks Brett I will look into those. At first glance they look to have a long overall length relative to stroke, anyway I will look at it.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Just a quick update on the power lift canopy system.

All sensors need to be installed for the system to work properly.

I was having a slight issue of what to do with the pinch senor. There was no way it was going to fit in its oem configuration on the car.
    It has a resistance value of 9.8K ohms and I was thinking of eliminating it completely and install a resistor of the same value in its place. Tricking the computer to think it was installed, but today I made a discovery.

I got the motor units installed today so it was time to focus on installing other parts of the system.
    That brings me to the pinch sensors. I was under the impression that the sensor itself was cast into the plastic frame that made up the sensor. To my enjoyment I found that double sided tape was the only thing holding it on to the plastic part.

So using a utility knife I carefully removed the sensor part from the plastic mount.

The sensor once removed is very flexible and can be mounted to the car with no issues(I hope)

Stock oem pinch sensor
    P5220001.jpg

Pealing the sensor away from the plastic mount
    P5220002.jpg

Pinch sensors removed
    P5220003.jpg

Possible location on the car where they may go
    P5220004.jpg

P5220005.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Just a quick update on the power lift canopy system.

Possible location on the car where they may go
    P5220004.jpg

P5220005.jpg
    Hi Brett

Just a word of caution of mounting your pinch sensor on the body in this area. This is exactly where your behind (or your passengers) will slide when getting in and out. I suggest you run wiring for them up through the roof hollow where the wiper wiring runs and mount them on the underside of the roof instead. Also you may need to experiment with modelling clay to find places where roof and body touch as there were massive gaps on my car in some of these areas.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Quote Originally Posted by MicksRedNova View Post
    Hi Brett

Just a word of caution of mounting your pinch sensor on the body in this area. This is exactly where your behind (or your passengers) will slide when getting in and out. I suggest you run wiring for them up through the roof hollow where the wiper wiring runs and mount them on the underside of the roof instead. Also you may need to experiment with modelling clay to find places where roof and body touch as there were massive gaps on my car in some of these areas.

Mick
    I understand your thoughts but according to this definition

The sensors are now also actuated when the liftgate is being moved to its closed position. Should an object be detected, further movement of the liftgate is stopped. The present invention thus detects the presence of an object in the path of a liftgate prior to any contact. Further, the invention combines two prior control modules into a single control module.

So this location seems the logical place to install them.

If someone were climbing in or out and the system was activated(for some reason) the sensors would detect their presence ASAP(as soon as possible) and stop the canopy from coming down on top of them.

If the sensors were in the canopy, the canopy would have to come down and hit the person first before sensing anything.(I'm assuming the location your talking about is the area where the weather strip is installed and not somewhere on the inside of the canopy)Also if it were placed in this area the lip on both sides of the canopy would make it harder to compress the sensors if something was in the way.
    Gaps are a good thing. You don't want anything touching the sensors at any time

The sensors are activated by applying a certain amount of pressure to them.

If I'm I'm not understanding your concern or solution let me know and we can come up with something that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I understand your thoughts but according to this definition

The sensors are now also actuated when the liftgate is being moved to its closed position. Should an object be detected, further movement of the liftgate is stopped. The present invention thus detects the presence of an object in the path of a liftgate prior to any contact. Further, the invention combines two prior control modules into a single control module.

So this location seems the logical place to install them.

If someone were climbing in or out and the system was activated(for some reason) the sensors would detect their presence ASAP(as soon as possible) and stop the canopy from coming down on top of them.

If the sensors were in the canopy, the canopy would have to come down and hit the person first before sensing anything.(I'm assuming the location your talking about is the area where the weather strip is installed and not somewhere on the inside of the canopy)Also if it were placed in this area the lip on both sides of the canopy would make it harder to compress the sensors if something was in the way.
    Gaps are a good thing. You don't want anything touching the sensors at any time

The sensors are activated by applying a certain amount of pressure to them.

If I'm I'm not understanding your concern or solution let me know and we can come up with something that will work.
    My concern was that you would pull them right off, assuming they are glued in place, as soon as you slide over that area to get in or out. I placed some similar rubber strip, in the same place, on both sides of my Nova to divert rain water that always found its way past the rubber seals in this area. I never did find a way of holding them in place with glue and they were forever being dragged of by the seat of my trousers.

If they detect objects without contact I suspect they must have a ‘capacitive’ feature in them, or work like a metal detector, needing close proximity, but they look like they require pressure on them to activate maybe you could put them under a deformable metal or plastic cover that would give a shiny surface and still function as a safety cutout. I would suspect that a light beam type safety switch would work better with a Nova canopy.

Mick
    Last edited by MicksRedNova; 23-05-2020 at 09:57 PM.
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Do you know how the pinch sensors are activated? I just assumed it was pressure, but I guess I am wrong.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by MicksRedNova View Post
    My concern was that you would pull them right off, assuming they are glued in place, as soon as you slide over that area to get in or out.

I would suspect that a light beam type safety switch would work better with a Nova canopy.

Mick
    I see your concern

I could cut a groove along the location that it will be placed and counter sink the sensor slightly to help hold it in place.

The sensor needs to have a certain resistance to it for the system to work so a beam may not work.

Once I get the system installed and working I'll address these issues. My main concern right now is to get it installed and working.

I've been posting to long about this system and the advantages it has over the present setup. It's time to put up or shut up

I am sure it will all work great, like so many of your ideas. Looking forward to seeing it all churning away.

I had the same thought about channeling the sensor strip.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I am sure it will all work great, like so many of your ideas. Looking forward to seeing it all churning away.

I had the same thought about channeling the sensor strip.
    Well the system is up and running.
    Very pleased with how it works. Unit has more than enough power to get the job done and the 2 speed configuration is really cool(starts out slow and speeds up then slows down at the end of its travel)and its very quiet.

Still need to install the pull down latch system.
    At first I wasn't sure about using it but after some emailing with David he explained how it is essential to have it, so that's what I'm working on now.

I will do some testing of how the system reacts to having 2 latches instead of 1 and once that is worked out I'll install the complete system.

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Sounding very promising Brett. Would be good to see and hear it in a video sometime