Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: 009

After making my pegboard I've somewhat stalled again also, why is it wiring has such an effect on us ? I guess its so less tangible / rewarding than designing and creating parts

The challenge I'm having is getting 5 different systems to work together.(Fiesta dash. Chrysler lift gate, Pontiac pop up headlights, Subaru engine, Mercedes HVAC.)

The Fiesta fuse box has limited circuits of the proper amperage and when the circuits supply power(Hot at all times, Acc/On, Start/On) for the systems to work off of. So Finding what will work with what is a challenge. Some circuits like air bags wont be used so that opens up options but then they may not work if they can't carry the amperage that other circuits need.

Wiring one circuit at a time wont work for me because other circuits may need to get spliced in to that one circuit.

So my solution is to make up the wiring diagrams first and fix issues there before I start to cut and splice.

Finding circuits of the proper amperage to get the headlights to operate properly took a few hours. The Fiesta lights used a BCM to operated while the Pontiac head lights used a control module that operated the lights and uses different amperage's than the Fiesta's lights, Plus the Pontiac's lights use additional wires to operate the doors.

Just having to much fun
    Last edited by Brett; 29-01-2021 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    The challenge I'm having is getting 5 different systems to work together.(Fiesta dash. Chrysler lift gate, Pontiac pop up headlights, Subaru engine, Mercedes HVAC.)

The Fiesta fuse box has limited circuits of the proper amperage and when the circuits supply power(Hot at all times, Acc/On, Start/On) for the systems to work off of. So Finding what will work with what is a challenge. Some circuits like air bags wont be used so that opens up options but then they may not work if they can't carry the amperage that other circuits need.

Wiring one circuit at a time wont work for me because other circuits may need to get spliced in to that one circuit.

So my solution is to make up the wiring diagrams first and fix issues there before I start to cut and splice.

Finding circuits of the proper amperage to get the headlights to operate properly took a few hours. The Fiesta lights used a BCM to operated while the Pontiac head lights used a control module that operated the lights and uses different amperage's than the Fiesta's lights, Plus the Pontiac's lights use additional wires to operate the doors.

Just having to much fun
    It sounds incredibly complicated and a challenge that I would probably avoid personally. But good luck in getting it all to work.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    It sounds incredibly complicated and a challenge that I would probably avoid personally. But good luck in getting it all to work.
    Have to agree (because I donít think Iíd be up to it!) so when I get to that stage (and with limited electronic extras over the VW base) Iíll be adopting the KISS principle.

However, Iím full of admiration for what Brettís trying to achieve

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    However, Iím full of admiration for what Brettís trying to achieve
    TRYING????? I'm doing it

Spent some time today adapting the Fiesta wiper motor to the Sterling wiper system.

A while back I improvised and adapted a 1997 Audi wiper motor(cost only a couple of dollars from the dismantler's yard) to the sterling wiper system and that was a bolt on process. Just needed to change some wires around. But now that motor doesn't work with the Fiesta system. Wiring and circuits are all different. I guess if I had to I could of made it work but it was easier to modify the wiper mount too accept the Fiesta wiper motor.
    The Fiesta wiper system is in the BCM and the switch does nothing more than ground the appropriate circuits.

Here's the Audi Motor
    I did have to change out the arm that bolts to the motors shaft, the Audi uses a round spline shaft. No big problem, that arm is available in a spline shaft fitment
    P1290001.jpg

This is the Fiesta wiper motor
    It uses the same size spline shaft so what I have now will bolt right on.
    P1290002.jpg

And the modified bracket
    Just waiting for the paint to dry so I can put it back together.
    One mounting hole was in the correct spot. (ones better none, it gave me something to work off of)
    P1290003.jpg

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    TRYING????? I'm doing it
    Oops, sorry Brett. Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    The wiring is always a challenge especially when mixing up parts and makes of cars. I find it easier to draw it first. I do it a bit like the Haynes manual do, draw each circuit separately but reference one to another. I start with the manufactures drawing scan it onto the computer and then remove the bits not needed and add my own bits to suite. It takes some time but in doing it I have a permanent record to refer back to. I have a rubbish memory but this way I can brake into a harness at any point and know where it goes.

Dirk

Posting this to show you should not get discourage when something doesn't work out on the first attempt or second.

Its only a car.

Bracket ready for the motor.

P1290004.jpg

P1290005.jpg

P1290006.jpg

P1290007.jpg

And a look at the oem Bosch motor next to the Fiesta motor

P1290008.jpg

Having kitted out about 50 new RAC, (that's Royal Automobile Club, Brett). Ford transits, I can vouch for the beauty of pre-assembled looms with all the connectors fitted and just connect to the accessories, beacons etc we installed.

I went the one circuit at a time route with British Leyland colour codes to a central connection board, sorted out all the interconnections etc when they were all there. I ignored the colours of the GM rear lights, VW parts, none BL bits etc and took fresh cables from the units instead.

Looks a bit of a birds nest but easy to add subtract and move.

CCB2 2.jpg
    Last edited by Peter; 30-01-2021 at 01:08 PM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Well done man, following this with interest