Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: 009

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Very nice - good work

Nice neat solution for the steering column going through the bulkhead
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

clever way of creating something flat to take the grommet on an otherwise contoured section of the bulkhead

Nice job, seems to Stirling is a lot more complicated than the Cimbria/Eagle bulkhead which is just flat, so I was able to use a drive shaft boor on a simple alloy collar. Yours is very nicely done as usual.
    Just as an interests why put the boot inside? I would have thought it would have been better outside so the crap doesn't collect in the boot., Just a thought.
    1531068641847.jpg
    Last edited by Peter; 23-03-2021 at 01:35 PM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

So that entry point for the steering shaft does not interfere with brake pedal? I am only asking as I am also trying to find where to enter mine so that it doesn't interfere with subaru pedal set.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Sorry I haven't replied to these questions I haven't been checking the site that often.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Just as an interests why put the boot inside? I would have thought it would have been better outside so the crap doesn't collect in the boot., Just a thought.
    1531068641847.jpg
    The UJ(universal joint) is close to the firewall so I went this route. I don't think to much crap will find its way into the boot and if it does maybe it will make a better seal

Quote Originally Posted by Sector View Post
    So that entry point for the steering shaft does not interfere with brake pedal? I am only asking as I am also trying to find where to enter mine so that it doesn't interfere with subaru pedal set.
    The only issue is your clutch foot can't slide over to the brake pedal. The shaft is in the way but all the pedals clear the shaft even when pedals are fully pushed in.
    I experimented with all types of options but this was the only solution(I found) to get full motion from the pedals and have the column connect up to the rack and pinion.

Ok Since I haven't posted anything recently, The dash is just about done(wiring). I need to run wires to the HVAC controls and to the center console, then (I think) All wiring for the interior will be done.
    Next will be the wiring for the engine and then the tail lights.

I think in a couple of days(the kids are starting to get back to work so I'm pretty sure I'll get delegated back to babysitter) I can put power to the system to check if there are any issues with the headlights and the dash.

P3290001.jpg

P3290002.jpg

Having the wiring done will be a very significant major milestone, I wish I could say I was this far ahead but its the one task I always procrastinate on.

What approach did you take for extending wires, did you manage to find the correct colour coding and gauge or did you go down another path and use some sort of marking / coding system?

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    What approach did you take for extending wires, did you manage to find the correct colour coding and gauge or did you go down another path and use some sort of marking / coding system?
    My procedure is this.

Whenever possible I stay with the same colour and gauge.

If thats not possible I try to use the same colour wire of the item the wires are going to. Such as if the stop light that I have is of a different colour then use that colour wire.
    Using this method I don't make the splice in the middle but at the beginning so there's no confusion tracing an issue down. Colour code stays the same though the whole length of the circuit.

If I can't go with either of these methods I then go with the dominate colour of the wire(wh-gn I would go with solid white) Again if this method is used I make the splice at the beginning.

Going with a solid colour wire raises a "red flag" to let me know that I'm not using the oem colour wire.

Good logical approach.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

The main reason I switched from VW to BL color code is V.W.P have all the colors so it all stays BL plus common red (+30), Green (+15) and white (ign) Black (ground). but each unto their own and in Brett's cae I guess a standard US code like GM would be better, no? Anyway, bit late in the day to change now. As long as you know what is what, and write it down.

Good to see progress ad looking forwsrd to seeing things come to gether.

It's like watching Spanish builders, it seems they take months to get to an unfinished stage and you think it will never get built and suddenly, overnight, whoosh, it is finished.
    Last edited by Peter; 31-03-2021 at 11:50 AM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl