Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 009

looking good, what do you use to cut your metal as the line are very straight

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    looking good, what do you use to cut your metal as the line are very straight
    Sorry that I haven't replied back to this till now. I haven't been monitoring this thread for replies.

But to answer your question.
    Old school tools

Hack saw and a variety of files.

Sprayed a similar silver that should follow the lines nicely, and being higher up its easier to see
    And I listen
    Color doesn't quite match. I'll see if I can find a closer match

P4180001.jpg

P4180002.jpg

I pulled out my plastic welder the other day only to find I was out of polypropylene filler rod which is what the casing of the AC/heater unit is made out of.
    I needed to change the angle of the top air vent so it would be at a more straight line to the vents in the dash.
    So I placed an order for some filler rods and they came in a couple of days ago with some stainless steel wire mesh material for reinforcement.

Before picture
    P3310002.jpg

After
    P4120002.jpg

P4120004.jpg

Now the top air vent of the AC unit has almost a straight shot to the air vents in the dash.

I'm taking a break from the HVAC system and starting to finish the foot operated parking brake that I started a long time ago.
    I have most of the materials so another reason to finish it.
    Last edited by Brett; 19-04-2020 at 12:55 AM.

I still think its pretty neat that you can actually weld plastic, it opens up a whole new world of possibilities. Really nice to see this unit repurposed for the Nova / Sterling, and the controls now look like they belong with the Silver finish.

Having said that with all the changes bringing the dash and the console bang up to date it does kinda make that Bugpack shifter knob look like its doesn't belong in the cabin anymore. I'm not sure if you agree or what options there are, but to me it just doesn't go with the modern OEM finish you have managed to achieve on the other parts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Color doesn't quite match. I'll see if I can find a closer match

P4180001.jpg

When I had my bonnet redone the paint shop took my wing mirrors and used some analyser (spectrophotometer) to determine the right paint colour needed for a match, then mixed it up. They could probably do the same if you took one of the other silver trim parts to use their analyser on, not sure what it would cost though as opposed to finding a close rattle can match.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Love the first pic, its coming together - great work!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    its looking very good.

Dirk

Having said that with all the changes bringing the dash and the console bang up to date it does kinda make that Bugpack shifter knob look like its doesn't belong in the cabin anymore. I'm not sure if you agree or what options there are, but to me it just doesn't go with the modern OEM finish you have managed to achieve on the other parts
    Haven't given it any thoughts. Been busy with other things to even look at it.

But since you did bring it up I did a search for aftermarket shift levers and they all look the same. The bug was never considered a high end sports car so I guess nobody ever thought about making a fancy shift lever.

Next time I go to the yards here I'll look around to see if I can find something that goes with the new interior and will work as a replacement lever.

Your not going to let me sneak anything past you are you??

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post

Your not going to let me sneak anything past you are you??

That is what friends are for

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    That is what friends are for
    Way off at a tangent, but that reminds me of a line from the Waterboys’ song ‘Saints and Angels’ which says .... ‘the ship that ever goes to sea ... Friendship!’

Alistair

Most after market knobs are universal and secured by three small grub screws under a collar like my Simoni one, a huge selection from sculls and golf/snooker balls to super sport types and many have vinyl inserts that cam be changed for some of your own trim material. . and for about only $25 upwards too.

Great progress on the HVAC unit, would love to fit one just like it but no coolant.
    IMG_20181105_123658.jpg

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl