Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: 009

Will be interesting to see how you get on with the servo, you'll definitely need a light foot regarding locking the brakes, having said that I'm contemplating putting a servo on mine and even the abs system but just haven't got the time to set that up
    Mike

Brackets for rack and pinion unit finally installed.

Once the paint dries I'll install the unit and post pictures of it installed for those wanting to see how it looks

I used part of the oem bracket to save on fabrication time. The oem bracket was spot welded to the body of the donor car so it was easy to remove.

PA280001.jpg

One bracket before install
    PA270004.jpg

Rack and pinion installed
    PA280006.jpg

PA280007.jpg

PA280011.jpg

That is some pretty substantial mounting, should hold it nice and solid.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    You have a nice solution there and should be simple enough to maintain in future - good work.

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    That is some pretty substantial mounting, should hold it nice and solid.
    Thats the nice way of putting it.

Yes its way more material than needed. I didn't want to spend any more time than necessary on it. Shedding pounds(weight) from it would have taken more time than I wanted to spend on it. I've been delaying this install for to long and I just wanted to get it done while the body was off and I could get at everything with the welder.

Tie rods are equal lengths and the tie rod angles to the control arm are the same. Took some time and tried several different tie rod lengths and outer tie rod ends to get it where I thought the setup was the best that it was going to get.

I did have a moment of weakness and looked for a rack and pinion kit but nothing would work for the application.

Picture of the electric power steering unit in the column
    PA240002.jpg

That IS a substantial install, makes my bit of 3· angle iron look silly that's for sure. I love the EPS system, so easy to fit, over here the favourite is from the Opel Corsa B,

I was thinking of going that route but now I have welded the QR onto the Triumph column I think I'll stay manual,
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Time today was spent making up the fuel, fuel return, and the EVAP lines to and from the tank. Plus the install of the sensors related to the tank and fuel system.

Still need to find a place to put the charcoal canister and run the lines to that. I was hoping that it would fit under the tank but that doesn't look to promising.

PB010002.jpg

How about on top of the tank? It seems that there is certainly space there given the "hump" of the tank at the front allows the window tunnel to go in. So the space behind that ought to be enough, you could make up a platform for it to sit on using the sides of the tank mounting edges. It also would keep the various pipes in / out contained within that same area.

This assumes your charcoal cannister is flat'ish and rectangular is the same as on my Subaru Legacy unit.

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    How about on top of the tank? It seems that there is certainly space there given the "hump" of the tank at the front allows the window tunnel to go in. So the space behind that ought to be enough, you could make up a platform for it to sit on using the sides of the tank mounting edges. It also would keep the various pipes in / out contained within that same area.

This assumes your charcoal cannister is flat'ish and rectangular is the same as on my Subaru Legacy unit.
    Yes the canister would fit in there
    PB020001.jpg

But there are other parts that are mounted to it and I would like to keep it all together instead of having to make new brackets for each part and running new lines(call me lazy)
    PB020002.jpg

PB020003.jpg