Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: 009

Based on the second photo gives you some space to put other "stuff" on top of the front of the tank under the rear deck, which may come in handy

Ah, good call Brett. I was just picturing mounting ears/tabs and not even reading the strap part.

I would go for straps with rubber strips, that Subaru tank looks just right for your job.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Where's my mate Brett gone? Missing you Brett.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

Hi Peter

I check the site a couple of times a day

Still working on the car, just haven't had any motivation to post.

Been working on the tank. Got it installed. Once I get the connections finished I'll line the inside with a sealer.
    PA180001.jpg

PA180002.jpg

PA180003.jpg

I took a Subaru tank and modified it to fit, that way I retain all the fuel system sensors. The after market one I bought didn't work out as planned.

It worked out for the best, the Subaru tank sits lower than the stock VW tank lowering the mass closer to the ground.

Just need to Finish the filler and vent connections
    PA180007.jpg

Used the Subaru back splash fitting
    Flaps move freely so it has to be mounted horizontally to work properly.
    Picture of it open
    PA180008.jpg

Picture of it closed
    PA180009.jpg

Power brakes and hydraulic clutch

PA180006.jpg

Because of the locations of the master brake and clutch cylinder this is the only spot that was higher than the master cylinders
    PA180005.jpg

Started the install of the rack and pinion steering

PA180004.jpg

OK now you know where I'm at on the build.

That's quite a lot so great progress. Are you doing as I did, put the rack where it needs to be and then sort out the mounting or have you already done it?

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Nice update, loving the box-section steel.
    Interesting to see how the rear-end hangs together.

Wow.... A few observations / questions then.

1) So the tank is effectively sandwiched in cradle then so no need for mounting tabs that could fatigue.
    2) What is the steering rack from? You've ditched the idea of power steering and this is a manual rack?
    3) I love the idea of servo assisted brakes, will have to think about if I can fit a remote servo for my set-up

Keep up the great work

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    That's quite a lot so great progress. Are you doing as I did, put the rack where it needs to be and then sort out the mounting or have you already done it?
    Location was determine after experimenting with several different sets of equal length tie rods and getting the best angle to the steering arms to get the best steering geometry possible for the install.

Rack and pinion is at the install location but I'm waiting on material that is on ordered to finish the install.

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Wow.... A few observations / questions then.

1) So the tank is effectively sandwiched in cradle then so no need for mounting tabs that could fatigue.
    2) What is the steering rack from? You've ditched the idea of power steering and this is a manual rack?
    3) I love the idea of servo assisted brakes, will have to think about if I can fit a remote servo for my set-up

Keep up the great work
    1) Yes I decided this would be the best way to go for mounting the tank. In the front I used the flange thats created where the two halves of the tank come together as a place to use 2 bolts and a mount (that runs the length of the tank) to hold the front in place

2) Steering rack is out of a Geo metro and so is the servo for the assisted brake. I still have power assist steering. Its in the steering column(electric).