Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tail Lights

Tail Lights

Here's an idea that I've been considering but haven't had time to research it as of yet.

Here in the States its almost impossible to find tail lights that will fit the car. 90% of all tail lights over here are to big and don't look right on the car.

Well one day I discovered I was looking in the wrong place for tail lights.

The main tail lights are usually to big but, the lights that are located in the boot lid (we call that the trunk over here) are smaller and may work.

The only problem is the turn signal is not located in that light. Its in the other light.

Not a problem. Just take the reverse light and put an amber bulb in it and now you have a turn signal.

Back up light can be located separately in some other place in the back of the car

http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/attach...&thumb=1&stc=1

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Nice idea but what do you then do for a reverse light?

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Nice idea but what do you then do for a reverse light?

Dirk

There are numerous single reverse lights out there in different shapes and sizes that can be placed anywhere on the back of the car

I had been having a similar thought for some time, and have been looking at trunk sections of tail lights so see which would work. Some of the audi's are promising and even have the turn signals as part of the trunk segments as well as the outer sections. The problem then is that the brake light is the outer section. However the fog light is on the trunk section, so my thinking was to use the fog with a lower wattage bulb as the brake light. For the older cars like ours the fog light isn't mandatory

Saw these yesterday and thought they would work out nice on the Sterling.

Scale of them looks to fit the cars scale real nice.

Problem for the Euro guys is the turn signal is not amber. Maybe an after market company has them in amber or your version of the car has amber turn signals.

2019 Kona.jpg

Edit:
    UK version(I think)

2018 Kona.jpg
    Last edited by Brett; 10-06-2019 at 06:36 PM.

If I'm right, the original picture seems to show the indicator/turn signal lights in the bumper/fender light array, so that means the lens array you're referring to is only a stop/brake and red tail light assembly only, without indicator.

With that in mind, you MIGHT be able to locate a custom lens array that does all three on ebay.

...I know you're doing a fair amount of custom glass work with your new hood etc, maybe its time to look into the possibility of designing and casting your own custom lenses?
    Last edited by Gaisa; 10-06-2019 at 07:15 PM.

Hi Brett, I'd been thinking the same thing too! I hadn't gone as far as looking at current model cars, mostly I noticed this on older Honda's that have the tail light split between body and trunk lid. I like shape of those tail lights. Are you thinking mounting Left to Left or swapped so you have the thinner section towards the outside of the body?
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

I can't seem to envision how these would work? Are you referring to lower or upper lights?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Iíve been looking along those lines. What Iíve concluded so far is that very few cars (if any) have the lights, brake, reverse and indicator on the boot segments. Some have all except the brake segment, but they do have the fog lights on that segment so my thinking was to substitute the fog lights for the brake lights.
    The shape of the ones you found would probably work Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Gaisa View Post
    If I'm right, the original picture seems to show the indicator/turn signal lights in the bumper/fender light array, so that means the lens array you're referring to is only a stop/brake and red tail light assembly only, without indicator.
    I think your right, but you have to look at it as what it can be, not what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    Are you thinking mounting Left to Left or swapped so you have the thinner section towards the outside of the body?
    Hi Nic
    At this point in time I would keep the current configuration.
    This is still in the research stage. I'm finding that the cost for these is more than what I want to spend and the cost of the led sets are double the cost.

I have found some on ebay but cost is still more than I'm willing to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sector View Post
    I can't seem to envision how these would work? Are you referring to lower or upper lights?

Upper lights.

There are 2 versions of this light from what I can see. One uses bulbs and another uses led.

Here is the dealer micro fiche of the lights. Using both may have to be used. Not having a set to look at makes everything just speculations.
    2018 kona1.jpg

2018 Kona2.jpg