Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Glasgowgoers new Golf Kart

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    when my Nova was on the road (seems so long ago...) it was used every day. 1600VW with heatexchangers, and if left to warm up first the heat exchangers worked pretty well to de-mist the windscreen in the frosts etc. The biggest problem was when it was raining, as mentioned above - it was very difficult to keep the screen clear, and usually meant having to keep the sunroof open a crack to get better airflow, (almost a catch22?). I would suggest that driving in the rain in a Nova is far worse than driving in the cold!

Not sure what I'm going to do when back on the road, although the type IV exhaust presently has heat exchangers, they will probably be augmented by using an external fan, as the problem with the 1600VW was that the air flow depended on the revs of the engine. That's if I keep the present exhaust, which is not the prettiest!

I will probably go the same route as Phil above with an exhaust that unfortunatly doesn't include the heat exchangers.

At least I'm in a position now to have the Nova as a second car, but that doesn't avoid the driving in the rain issue!
    `¬)

Shame you can't buy a heated windscreen converter kit....you know like the very thin wire elements that you would stick to the inside of the screen....hey presto ...I think 😉

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Spot on David. The best car I had for driving in winter was a Mondeo with a quick clear windscreen. It used to demist in seconds and I had actually thought the same as you - why not fit a heated rear window element. You used to be able to buy aftermarket kits back in the 70's to stick on the rear screens of cars but you don't seem to be able to buy these anymore. - Hmm.. I wonder what would be involved in making one from scratch?..
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

70’s rear screen elements were thickish row of 5 (3mm to 4mm) strips which for a rear screen was bearable. Modern cars have approximately (guess) 100 filaments (maybe 0.5mm) embedded strips that are barely discernible. I think the modern ones are hard to reproduce unless part of the screen manufacturing process.

The other best alternative is Aircon, its the fastest way to clear a screen

Anyone out there got a spare pair of kick plates they might consider selling?
    😉

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Kick plates? Can you clarify
    If you mean the plates which go on top of the sills the link in with Kdbova. I and others have bought the ones he has and he is advertising them still on eBay 👍

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glasgowgolfer View Post
    Shame you can't buy a heated windscreen converter kit....you know like the very thin wire elements that you would stick to the inside of the screen....hey presto ...I think 😉
    If you have suitably deep pockets this is an option available for the Nova screen if purchased direct from Pilkington Automotive. They sandwich crimped wires between the inner and outer panes during manufacture, same as the Ford heated windscreens. You need to make sure your electrical system is up to scratch though, as current consumption will be of the same order as a heated rear screen (up to 30A).

Absolutely agree, driving in the rain is worst - I was caught in a massive thunderstorm on the A31 once, all the windows misted up and the only clear view was in the telecam! I managed to spot a layby and pulled in before I had an accident, but it took the best part of half an hour to clear the condensation afterwards. Easily my most frightening driving experience in the Nova (apart from crashing it!)
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    If you have suitably deep pockets this is an option available for the Nova screen if purchased direct from Pilkington Automotive. They sandwich crimped wires between the inner and outer panes during manufacture, same as the Ford heated windscreens. You need to make sure your electrical system is up to scratch though, as current consumption will be of the same order as a heated rear screen (up to 30A).

Absolutely agree, driving in the rain is worst - I was caught in a massive thunderstorm on the A31 once, all the windows misted up and the only clear view was in the telecam! I managed to spot a layby and pulled in before I had an accident, but it took the best part of half an hour to clear the condensation afterwards. Easily my most frightening driving experience in the Nova (apart from crashing it!)
    Wow soz to hear that hope you where ok, unfortunately we tend to get a bit more of the wet stuff up here 😥

Dave has sent the heater to me, addressed to my place of work which has a 24/7 manned weigh bridge, mill & warehouse. Tracked the parcel & delivery was attempted today but no one was home???? so re-delivery will be tried tomorrow

I will run it through it's paces and report on the performance. To demist my screen in the morning for the trip to work a massive 5 miles away, I hang my daughters old hair drier from the T roof handle, run an extension lead to the outside power point, close the roof & go have breakfast. If I forget to do it then the screen is clear by the time I get to work, despite have the V6 heater!!!!!

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Wife & daughter in London so SHED TIME IT IS.

Tonight's task, tackle the wiring

Why you may ask when I have reported that almost all the electrics work?

That is why, they may work, but for how long? Do it once, do it right.

Behind the throttle peddle is the roof switch, great, put your foot to the floor & the roof opens

And the Blue wire is the starter wire while the orange wire, actually domestic three core, runs to the roof key switch in the side of the car

Side track, the gear leaver has been moved back & the hand brake shortened.

Flopper stopper already installed, good.

Also a anti-flex bar installed on front axle

And a nice solid frame head. Although I have not yet worked out what the additional fibreglass structure is meant to achieve (Suggestions on a post card)

And a view from the drivers side. Brake light switch needs an earth wire.

Back to the wiring. The previous owner did say that his welding & fabrication was his thing & the job done on the chassis testament to that, but wiring

Those big thick white wires you can see are the power supply to the parking lights (5W)

Clever use of a motor cycle indicator.

Have no heating in the shed so after removing the fuse box(board) & pulling all the hastily laid wires I have come into the warm to get the fuse board connection chart from CBS and plan the rewire.

So till next shed time that is it for this up date.

Caddy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"