Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Glasgowgoers new Golf Kart

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    The wiper switch had me thinking for a while but have sussed it out. Not sure if it will be VW wired as I only need three wires (Power, Slow, Fast) and the switch has 4 spread over 5 contacts that are only joined in pairs??? The parking mechanism on the wiper motor is adjustable, so it can be fine tuned. Four wires needed for the motor, Earth, Park Power, Slow, Fast.
    You could incorporate that neat little intermittent wipe via the VW relay that Brett posted, simply easy fix with no need for extra switches / delay controls.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    Had a little time tonight to map the CBS fuse board. More for my own understanding of how they have wired it. The wiper switch had me thinking for a while but have sussed it out. Not sure if it will be VW wired as I only need three wires (Power, Slow, Fast) and the switch has 4 spread over 5 contacts that are only joined in pairs??? The parking mechanism on the wiper motor is adjustable, so it can be fine tuned. Four wires needed for the motor, Earth, Park Power, Slow, Fast.

The CBS board only has 2 relays on it (Horn & Fan) I will be adding another bank of relays for the head lights, parking lights heater? etc to take the current off the yet to be decided switches.

Caddy
    Good thinking BushCaddy - just don't forget the regenerative braking for the wiper motor. You'll never stop laughing otherwise!
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

G'day 2019,

Lauren, on the test run with the wiper motor, no load on it, the park system has a slight pause before going around again. I am counting on the friction of the blade on the windscreen to overcome the motor inertia & successfully parking the wiper.

I have parked the wiring (pun intended Lauren) for the time being. Before I start to lay the new wires I totally removed all old wiring. I found too many nightmare joints like these to have any confidence in any of the wiring. so now there are no wires running randomly through the cockpit.

So while I am waiting for a few goodies to arrive that the Golfer has ordered I have moved onto the dash board & steering column.

The underside has the warm air plenum poorly glassed onto it. I will be removing this to refit it correctly

I will also be fabricating a better fire wall seal than what you see in these pictures.

It looks OK until you take it off that is

One other issue that I have not loaded pictures for was the fuel tank. It was mounted too low and was sitting on the starter motor. Not an ideal situation and is a fire just waiting to happen. A spacer bar under the mounting flange on the fuel tank has fixed that little nugget.
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Wiper wiring

If you have found a Rover wiper motor, I have the wiring diagram. Let me know if you need it (or can I upload it to this site?)

Bushboy ...you are my hero 😉😁....the man is a superstar

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    If you have found a Rover wiper motor, I have the wiring diagram. Let me know if you need it (or can I upload it to this site?)
    G'day Andrew,

Thanks for the offer however I will be using the existing wiper motor that came with the car. Not sure what it is off. It has 2 speeds and a park function. If the golfer wants intermittent then I have a stand alone adjustable on/off timer to cover that.

Caddy

Not sure, but I think the original wiper motor (and pantograph wiper arm) were the same as fitted to older JCB diggers?

This is the original screen washer water valve that resides in the steering column & is operated by the wiper switch.

To convert it to an electric switch, all I needed was this piece

After cutting it down to size and enlarging the hole the micro switch bolted neatly in place.

Then it was onto the body of the wiper switch assembly. I needed to enlarge the small hole between the brass posts to accept the switch head.

That is when disaster struck & the plastic plunger that normally operates the water valve & was now going to operate the micro switch lost an argument with the drill bit.

So I had to dream up replacement & started with this strip of Aluminium (or aluuuuminum for our American Friends)

Let the fettling begin

And I ended up with this

After moving a couple of wires out of the way for access it slips nicely into place

Attach the modified switch bracket and all I need now is some more wires.

Caddy

Great stuff 😊

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Great work BushCaddy!

I fear the mechanical resistance of the wiper arm will not be sufficient to stop the motor doing another cycle. I had exactly the same symptoms and nothing I did made any difference. Regenerative braking - you know it makes sense
    only Pythagoras can save me now!