Thread: Windscreen Washer Bottle

Smile Windscreen Washer Bottle

Hello everyone. Happy Christmas!

In the photos you will see my nova’s windscreen washer bottle. It’s from a Vauxhall Vectra. It’s been fitted but never actually used and I have a few questions for any experts out there...

1. The motor fits into a hole in the bottle. Presumably it sucks water up through this hole. It has two pipes attached. One is black which splits into two - this I know is for the spray nozzles. The other is clear - what is this for?
    2. The bottle has an exposed hole, with a rubber washer fitted, to the right of the motor. What is this for? I have a feeling it is for an electrical component that measures the fluid level. Assuming I’m correct, I don’t need this facility so should I purchase this item, fit it, cut the wires back and forget it, or cover the hole to stop water pouring out - recommendations please!
    3. In the removable filler neck there is a short pipe (2 photos). What’s this for?

Cheers, Giles

5B372D59-7CD6-490A-BD92-B4A4DF0457F7.jpg

2566DFAA-CEE4-4F83-A49B-D7DBB75CB4B6.jpg

662DDAF1-4144-44BC-B91C-C4E23335DF1E.jpg

65FC8E07-74C2-497D-93EE-25A5440F832A.jpg

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Quote Originally Posted by NovaF4 View Post

In the photos you will see my nova’s windscreen washer bottle. It’s from a Vauxhall Vectra. It’s been fitted but never actually used and I have a few questions for any experts out there...

1. The motor fits into a hole in the bottle. Presumably it sucks water up through this hole. It has two pipes attached. One is black which splits into two - this I know is for the spray nozzles. The other is clear - what is this for?
    2. The bottle has an exposed hole, with a rubber washer fitted, to the right of the motor. What is this for? I have a feeling it is for an electrical component that measures the fluid level. Assuming I’m correct, I don’t need this facility so should I purchase this item, fit it, cut the wires back and forget it, or cover the hole to stop water pouring out - recommendations please!
    3. In the removable filler neck there is a short pipe (2 photos). What’s this for?

Cheers, Giles
    Just guessing is the other pipe for headlights? Not sure what the hole is you might get away with gluing in a solid grommet? could the smaller pipe be a breather? Sorry not really very helpful

Dirk

Afraid I can't help much Giles either, but nice to see you posting again and back on the forum. Any updates on the car, whats left to get it done? Last time we spoke you were getting lots of custom bits and bobs made, any photos?

Cheers, Giles

5B372D59-7CD6-490A-BD92-B4A4DF0457F7.jpg

2566DFAA-CEE4-4F83-A49B-D7DBB75CB4B6.jpg

662DDAF1-4144-44BC-B91C-C4E23335DF1E.jpg

65FC8E07-74C2-497D-93EE-25A5440F832A.jpg

I have never seen one of these cars so take this info for what its worth

Over here that vacant hole(exposed hole) would be used for a fluid level sensor. If you have a light on the dash for one, personally I'd hook it up and use it. If you don't have a light on the dash for low fluid level warning then you could just plug the hole and not use it.

your hoses.. The one black hose with the tee would be used for the front windscreen washers and the clear hose would go to the back windscreen washers.

The pipe in the filler neck is a vent hose. you don't need to touch that. Thats the way they look

Brett
    Last edited by Brett; 25-12-2018 at 01:44 AM.

What you have there is a front/rear pump, the motor spins in the opposite direction for rear, as fitted to my Corsa B and similar to my Mercedes A class too.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Thanks for the replies. From your answers I conclude that the tube in the filler neck is a necessary vent (I was just curious about that); the vacant hole as I thought is for a fluid level indicator (I don’t have or want a light on the dash) so I will blank this off; the motor clear pipe is for a rear windscreen spray (of course thanks Peter - it works by reverse spinning of the pump (I wonder how the wiring works for that?). I won’t be using this so will cut the tube back and push in some silicone or something similar.

How would you effectively seal the large hole in the plastic bottle (for the fluid level)? Just curious to hear ideas.
    Last edited by NovaF4; 26-12-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Could also use the rear outlet as a headlight washer as I have.

Gaffer tape? Or,,, inflate a balloon in the bottle and cover the hole with epoxy and then pop! job a good un.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    How would you effectively seal the large hole in the plastic bottle (for the fluid level)? Just curious to hear ideas.
    I would have thought a suitable diameter chassis blanking plug would seal the hole OK, perhaps with some polyurethane adhesive.

I must admit I am curious as to how reversing the polarity of the motor re-routes the flow between the front and rear nozzles. I guess there are two impellors, one working clockwise and one anticlockwise. Clever!

Glad to see things moving forward Giles, happy holidays and all that!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Peter I love your fantastically logical balloon method! But I employed a different method thanks to finding a rubber stopper, in my tub of random rubber bits, that fitted perfectly into the hole of the rubber bung that is already present. I siliconed both rubber parts.

For the motor i used one of those rectangular batteries to test it and lo and behold it does work in opposite directions when the polarity is reversed. I’ve cut back the rear window tube and pressed in silicone into the remaining small length. It’s now ready to re-fit.

David - progress has been very slow. However lots of custom parts have been made, many from aluminium, to great effect. I will be posting photos of what little has been acheived fairly soon.

Cheers
    G