Thread: Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide

Hi everyone. Ya’ll good?

As car builders I was wondering if you’ve ever run your part built car in the garage with no exhaust system on it and felt any ill effects? I start my nova up every now and then (not regularly enough) to give the engine some life and let it get to temperature when the radiator fans kick in (about 30 mins) and then turn it off. The driveway to my garage is on a slope and coupled with the gravel surface makes it impossible for even two people to push it back in (3 can just do it), which is why for the last two times I have run the engine with the nova inside the single garage. My nova has no exhaust system; it just has the 4-into-2-into-1 short manifold (downpipes) fitted. Subsequently it absolutely stinks so I have perfected as best I can a start up procedure that involves taking a deep breath just before it fires and then running out of the garage to breath again. However, both previous start up times I have inevitably gone back into the garage to check the water temp guage, give it a rev or two etc. whilst breathing in some of the noxious gases and running out again. I usually read in the back garden to wile away the time. Anyway, both times I’ve done this I’ve developed mild flu-like symptoms the day after, which can last for a week or so. Right now, having started the engine last Friday, I feel awful. I think I’ve got carbon monoxide poisoning, again. I should have also said the nova doesn’t yet have a completed throttle set up, otherwise of course I’d be able to drive it out and back in. Needless to say, the throttle system is high on the priority list.

I simply cannot start the Nova again inside the garage, for my own health reasons.

I wonder if you guys have experienced a similar situation?

Best wishes
    Giles
    Last edited by NovaF4; 09-01-2019 at 07:43 PM.

I haven't with carbon monoxide, but I've had similar issues with 2k paints, and a failed extractor at a chem lab years ago.
    Both were unpleasant and left me feeling under the weather for a while after.
    I personally agree with your decision to forestall running the car until its in a more workable state, the health and well being of yourself and others around you is far more important than a hunk of metal, rubber and fiberglass, regardless of how pretty it may look.

I often run the cars engine inside my garage and yes I often used to end up with a headache from the fumes so I am very careful to ensure I ventilate the space as much as possible. Even in the middle of winter I tend to open the door at the expense of letting the cold air in but this minimises my exposure to any fumes. It was much worse up until recently when a combination of poor carburettor settings and a faulty spark plug meant the engine was only running on three cylinders and putting a lot of unburnt fuel into the air. Since replacing the plugs and the Carb the engine is running much cleaner now with hardly any fumes but I am well aware that CO is odourless and this is why it's such a poisonous gas as it's undetectable. Even a sweet running clean engine will be putting out a lot of CO but I've never experienced the flu like symptoms you've described. Only mild headaches as a result of poor running and unburnt fuel as described earlier
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Just attach a large diameter flexible hose with reducer at the end to fit snugly over the tailpipe and rout the hose to the outside. This is what immition stations do.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sector View Post
    Just attach a large diameter flexible hose with reducer at the end to fit snugly over the tailpipe and rout the hose to the outside. This is what immition stations do.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Excellent advice! Also, I've just had a new oil combi boiler fitted in my house today. It came with a carbon monoxide alarm. Maybe you should fit a CO alarm in the garage too? They're really cheap at around £20 for a battery operated one.

That way, hopefully you'll get back to your passion safely!

Cheers, Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I have had similar ill effect from welding galvanized metal in an enclosed area (Ill not do that again).

I would not run the car in a closed garage as Sector says get a hose attached to what you have got.

Dirk

Ive certainly had headaches caused by having the car running in confined spaces when working on it. When you’re younger as I was you brush these things off, as you get older you realise how stupid you were.

You’re right to prioritise your health Giles

Never a good idea. Seen too many after affects within my line of business.
    And never use one of those throw away BBQ kits indoors, deadly !

It’s been great to read your comments. I feel a bit better today so that’s a relief.

I like the idea of the pipe. The nova is backed in and I have a window in the back wall which a flexi hose could be passed through and off to the side, long enough for fumes not to blow back in.

Once the throttle system is complete i will be able to drive it out, close the garage up and run the engine outside and then drive it back in, although even doing that with no canopy on would be bad as I drive back in. Ok, basically i need to sort out a reducer and flexi hose. If you’re wondering why I don’t have an exhaust system it’s on the to-do list but too expensive at the moment plus I want to modify the rear panel so it makes for designing a custom system difficult without a set location for the tail pipes. When it is affordable I will see if the company who will make it can design the tail pipe parts to be adjustable up and down and left and right if that’s possible.

G