Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple wiper system

Simple wiper system

As my build nears completion I need to decide on a wiper system for my car. Jim73vw posted up some valuable information on the pantograph system he used on Nena :- http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...-wiper-options

This was a few years ago but the parts are still available so I may choose to go down this route.

However, I am also considering a much cheaper/simpler system using a single arm and was wondering if a motor such as this one would be suitable? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Win...frcectupt=true

Question is the pantograph system much better or would a single arm system suffice for a car that will never be a daily driver? If I go with a single arm what length or arm and wiper blade would I need to go for?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    As my build nears completion I need to decide on a wiper system for my car.
    .............. Question is the pantograph system much better or would a single arm system suffice for a car that will never be a daily driver? If I go with a single arm what length or arm and wiper blade would I need to go for?
    Hi Phill,

It's so long since I drove my Nova that I can't really make a judgement other than suggest that the pantograph will get to the edge of the screen over most of the visible area, whereas the single arm won't.

Here's a photo I took at the Scottish Kit Car Show at Ingleston many years ago which shows 'panto' beside 'single' which might help you get an idea for the swept areas.

Attachment 3074

Cheers, Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I don't think the fact that it is an occasional drive should come into the equation. You can leave your house for a 2 mile drive and it be nice and sunny by the time you are driving home it can be poring down and just a couple of hundred yards with a poor windscreen wiper is a nightmare. Mick posted a link to some phonographic arms a few years back made for buses I think have a search.

Dirk

Phil, I’ve got a single arm, and as Alistair rightly points out the clearance area is less than the pantograph system.

I will certainly be going down the pantograph route on my Scooby Nova

David, Alex , Lauren or anyone else using a single blade system - can you tell me what length of arm and width of blade you are using?

On the wiper systems I have been looking at a quite different system that has been literally in my face, The one on my Mercedes A-class, which also has a large screen although wider at the top. It is a one piece unit requiring two spindle holes and two mountings.
    The two arms overlap in the middle and swing to the vertical at the sides, a small adjustment to crank length would mean less arch so fit in with the narrow top of the SS/Nova screen and a 90% coverage.

n.s wiper gear.JPG wiper 2.jpg
    Last edited by Peter; 20-01-2019 at 01:29 PM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Thanks Peter. At the moment I'm still considering a single wiper system.

I found this pantograph arm in the box of spares that originally came with the car:-

IMG_8564[1].jpg

With a clean up and paint it should be perfectly serviceable. Not sure if I need a special pantograph motor with two spindles or if the type of motor I linked to at the top of this thread would be suitable as long as I add a second pivot point onto the canopy for the second arm to attach to?

Mine is a daily driver & has the pentograph wiper. I have a picture some where (may already be on this site somewhere) of the swept area of the windscreen. Taken after a light dusting of snow and shows it well. The Eureka wiper only has 1 driven spindle, the other is just an idler for the other arm.

Not having driven a single wiper Nova I can't comment on the effective wiped area.

Lauren does have a single arm from memory but she moved the motor mounting point & thus the wiper position.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

I think Lauren's is still a phonograph but just offset from center??

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Thanks Peter. At the moment I'm still considering a single wiper system.

I found this pantograph arm in the box of spares that originally came with the car:-

IMG_8564[1].jpg

With a clean up and paint it should be perfectly serviceable. Not sure if I need a special pantograph motor with two spindles or if the type of motor I linked to at the top of this thread would be suitable as long as I add a second pivot point onto the canopy for the second arm to attach to?
    I would use that just make a bracket for the motor to attache to that has the second pivot point Ill try and dig out a pic of mine.

Dirk