Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Building a new Hood/Bonnet

I'm going to do this in as short of posts as possible. I really hate spending long times on the computer.

this method is just one of many ways to do this. I came up with this method after numerous other methods didn't go so well. I've read all kinds of fiberglass books and none of them really covered making and attaching the flanges to the bucks.
    First lets cover the material that I use for building the flanges. for the most times this is what I use.

P6280019.jpg

I'll make a template for cutting the flange out of the material.

Once the material is cut for building the flange I make a cut to go through just one side of the material. Location of the cut is decided from how tall the flange will be and how much material will be needed to attach it to the buck. This is where the cut is made.

P6280008.jpg

The inside rib structure is cut down the middle or in that area. All I'm doing here is detaching one side of the material

P6280009.jpg

Once the material is cut this is what I have

P6280011.jpg

P6280012.jpg

Well it looks like I ran into a problem. The site wont let me down load any more pictures.
    I'll post more latter.

I was watching this recently, I like the quality of finish. Ive gotta find some of that filleting wax

https://youtu.be/keBwRhkfuOQ

Your 'bucks' are better than my finished items, thank heaven I usually cover with 3mm foam and trim or vinyl to hide all the rough stuff.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    I was watching this recently, I like the quality of finish. Ive gotta find some of that filleting wax

That is quite a vid, wow.

Some nice work Brett, enjoying this thread

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post

I saw that video a while back and tried to locate that fillet wax here in the "States" but came up empty so I had to find other means.

Sorry for the gap in posting.
    I had 3 days without grand kids so I had to kick it into high gear to get some work done. Got the mold/mould done.

I will pick up the posts where I left off probably later today.

Sorry again. The time it takes me to take pictures and edit them and then detailing each picture takes time and with the grand kids not here I didn't want to waste any of the time that I had to get the mold/mould finished.

Bret,

I think everyone would agree there is no need for an apology. You are doing us the favor by educating us and showing your skills keep it up

Dirk

After the top layer of skin is cut off the ribs will need to be sanded down.
    A small belt sander made quick work of this.

P6280013.jpg

After the sanding it looked like this. I took a block sander and smoothed it out a little more. The ribs weren't totally flush after the block sanding

P6280015.jpg

One thing I should point out. The whole buck/plug was treated with 3 applications of mold/mould release wax before any of this was started.

Next I applied painters tape to the surface that was going to hold the flange material in place

P6280016.jpg

Next the contact cement was applied to the painters tape and the flange material.

P6280017.jpg
    P6280018.jpg

After the glue cured the flange material was attached to the buck/plug

Now that the flange material is in place it needs to get sealed at the buck/plug so resin doesn't leak through.

I've had good luck melting candle wax at the sealing area but the cleaning procedure is kind of a pain. Since temperatures are quite hot here modeling clay is very soft and easy to work with so I decided to use the clay. There will be gaps at the sealing surface and clay works real nice to filling in those gaps.
    I just laid sections of clay down and pressed it into the gaps down the length of the flange material

P6280020.jpg
    P6280021.jpg

I made a make shift cutting knife from the wood material(mixing sticks) that is used for mixing the resin. I used wood because when I cut through the clay it wont cut the surface of the buck/plug. Several light cuts are made till I finally get through the clay.

P6280022.jpg

After the clay was cut I removed the excess clay.

P6280024.jpg

To get rid of the residual of the clay on the buck/plug I applied some mold/mould release wax and buffet it out and the surfaced is ready for gel coat
    P6280025.jpg

Aluminum tape was used to join the corners together. I'll see if I have pictures of that

Here's pictures of how the aluminum tape was used

P6290001.jpg
    P6290002.jpg

Here's a close up of how well the modeling clay fills gaps also note how sharp the corners turn out. Because of how tight the corners are, before I start to lay glass I apply a paste of milled fiberglass and resin to create a fillet at the base of the flange that the fiberglass will have an easier time conforming to.

P6280003.jpg