Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a new Hood/Bonnet

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    I remember driving in really torrential rain up the M1, stopped at MK services and the electric fans came on and there was steam literally billowing from the nostrils as the water boiled off the hot radiator. When combined with an open air intake at the front, the airflow is more than adequate to cool the engine, without any further intervention from the fans. I once drove all the way to Newby Hall in North Yorkshire (530 miles), non-stop, without the fans coming on once!
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    I remember driving in really torrential rain up the M1, stopped at MK services and the electric fans came on and there was steam literally billowing from the nostrils as the water boiled off the hot radiator.
    A very good point to consider when modifying the bonnet/hood with vents.

I was able to do a little work on the new bonnet/hood today

Got one layer of resin applied to the fabric. This will be the starting point for making the top skin for the bonnet/hood.

over night the surface developed slight ripples in parts of the fabric. I think I'll use body filler to fill in the low spots instead of starting over.

P3180001a.jpg
    P3180005.jpg
    P3180010.jpg
    P3180011.jpg

So basically this will be a buck that you plane to take a mold of?

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    So basically this will be a buck that you plan to take a mold of?
    Yes

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Brett
    I just have to take my hat off to you.
    Top work to try and make something very unique 👍

Looking forward to seeing this progress, nice work.

Dirk

Had issues with the body filler so I tried something else.

That worked until I thought I'd try to eliminate some steps and major problems came up.

Had the bonnet all ready for glassing and I figured I'd save time and materials by adding the extractor at this point and glass that in as part of the mould.

Things worked great until the extractor was applied and then 15 minutes later the section around the extractor started to sink. I guess the weight of the extractor was to heavy for the thin layer of glass to support

Scrap attempt #1

P3230005.jpg

P3230006.jpg

Started attempt #2. This time no short cuts. This however leaves me short of resin and more will have to be ordered.
    Resin was sprayed on so there would be an even layer of it over the complete bonnet

P3260008.jpg

P3260009.jpg
    Last edited by Brett; 27-03-2019 at 03:33 PM.

Shame about the 1st attempt but the second is looking good. What gun are you using to spray the resin?

Dirk

I knew it was a gamble, but if it would have worked it would have saved me a lot of time and money.
    As the saying goes "no pain no gain" Not afraid to try different things. I got no one to teach me so I experiment or read books or surf the internet for answers

The gun I used to spray the resin is just a cheap china made gun with a 2,0 tip. We get them here for around $9 USD
    Its not like you have to have a really good spray pattern with resinbut spraying it on gets you an even layer of resin compared to brushing it on.
    If you remember my first attempt generated wrinkles in the fabric as it cured. That was brushed on. Second attempt was sprayed on and no wrinkles formed during the curing process.

I had to drill out the tip to 2,0. The gun came with a 1,3 tip