Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Building a new Hood/Bonnet

I take it you mean just an ordinary cheep paint gun with an enlarged tip? Is it a special spraying resin or can you get away with standard resin?

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I take it you mean just an ordinary cheep paint gun with an enlarged tip? Is it a special spraying resin or can you get away with standard resin?

Dirk
    Yes just an ordinary low cost paint gun. I didn't want to spend good money on a gun that I knew it was going to get ruined

Paint gun.jpg

Before I got a Gel Coat gun

Gel coat gun.jpeg

I used these paint guns and drilled the tips out to 2mm (per Nics suggestion). 2,5mm would be even better if you can get away with it.

I sprayed regular laminating resin over the fabric. No thinning. I've also sprayed gel coat with these guns before I got the gel coat gun

Had some time to spend on the bonnet/hood today.

Put stiffeners around the hood buck before it gets cut out so it retains its shape

P5060002.jpg

Had some time after the kids left so I trimmed the excess fabric off of the buck and pulled it from the car.
    One thing I should point out is I coated the car body with PVA so I could remove the buck with no issues.

P5090001.jpg

P5090002.jpg

Another thing I forgot to point out is that I marked out the cut lines for the edge of the bonnet/hood so I would know where to cut the excess material off. I did this before any attempt to remove the buck was made. I ran a marker on the inside along the edge

P5090003.jpg

And here it is trimmed and ready to apply body filler to fill in any imperfections. This will be used to make the top skin of the bonnet/hood.

P5090004.jpg
    Last edited by Brett; 10-05-2019 at 02:02 AM.