Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a new Hood/Bonnet

I take it you mean just an ordinary cheep paint gun with an enlarged tip? Is it a special spraying resin or can you get away with standard resin?

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I take it you mean just an ordinary cheep paint gun with an enlarged tip? Is it a special spraying resin or can you get away with standard resin?

Dirk
    Yes just an ordinary low cost paint gun. I didn't want to spend good money on a gun that I knew it was going to get ruined

Paint gun.jpg

Before I got a Gel Coat gun

Gel coat gun.jpeg

I used these paint guns and drilled the tips out to 2mm (per Nics suggestion). 2,5mm would be even better if you can get away with it.

I sprayed regular laminating resin over the fabric. No thinning. I've also sprayed gel coat with these guns before I got the gel coat gun

Had some time to spend on the bonnet/hood today.

Put stiffeners around the hood buck before it gets cut out so it retains its shape

P5060002.jpg

Had some time after the kids left so I trimmed the excess fabric off of the buck and pulled it from the car.
    One thing I should point out is I coated the car body with PVA so I could remove the buck with no issues.

P5090001.jpg

P5090002.jpg

Another thing I forgot to point out is that I marked out the cut lines for the edge of the bonnet/hood so I would know where to cut the excess material off. I did this before any attempt to remove the buck was made. I ran a marker on the inside along the edge

P5090003.jpg

And here it is trimmed and ready to apply body filler to fill in any imperfections. This will be used to make the top skin of the bonnet/hood.

P5090004.jpg
    Last edited by Brett; 10-05-2019 at 02:02 AM.

Got the mold for the top skin of the hood/bonnet done.
    Its just a blank skin with no scoops or intakes. Those will be added later.

I found these shims that will be used to establish the gap between the hood/bonnet and the body. It should establish an even gap around the opening. Just add the amount of shims you want to get the gap you want.

P5300003.jpg
    P5300005.jpg
    P5300006.jpg

Nice Ill have to get some of them to play with, in the past I have used electrical cable and used a hot glue gun to achieve a uniform gap. The cable is easy to shape and when done the glue just peels off.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Nice Ill have to get some of them to play with, in the past I have used electrical cable and used a hot glue gun to achieve a uniform gap. The cable is easy to shape and when done the glue just peels off.

Dirk
    Cool. nice idea

These spacers will also serve as a guide for building the side flanges for the hood/bonnet.

Got the blank top skin positioned over the top of the opening and also got it trimmed to fit the opening. Pictures are before the trimming.
    I hope to have it completely trimmed and in place with in the next couple of days. Then I'll make the side flanges around the perimeter. Once that is done I'll play around with where to put the extractor vent.

P5300001.jpg
    P5300002.jpg

Some serious effort going on here

Not very good photos but I got the top skin trimmed and fitted in place today.

One photo shows a close up of the top skin fitted against the spacer material

I hope to get the side flanges made this weekend.

After that its just a matter of how to layout the extractor vent in the bonnet/hood. Once that is done I'll make the mould .

If it wasn't for my babysitting duties this would have been done by now. Baby sitting the grand kids sure cuts into my time for getting things done.

You may also have notice from the pictures that I've taken some of the downward curvature out of the bonnet/hood. this will give me a little move space under the bonnet/hood and was done intentionally.

P5310001.jpg
    P5310002.jpg
    P5310003.jpg
    P5310004.jpg
    Last edited by Brett; 01-06-2019 at 02:08 AM.

What are the strengthening ribs made from?