Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a new Hood/Bonnet

Building a new Hood/Bonnet

Got everything caught up just waiting for the weather to warm up so I can start glassing so I figured I would start making the new Hood/Bonnet.

This will take some time since I have other obligations with higher priorities.

To make the top skin I'm laying a sheet of cotton fabric over the section that will become the Hood/Bonnet.

I will spray a mist of water over the fabric to get it just damp and then pull the wrinkles out and get the proper drop and curve in the top skin.

Got to go grand kids got here early. I'll post pictures when I get a break

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Got everything caught up just waiting for the weather to warm up so I can start glassing so I figured I would start making the new Hood/Bonnet.
    Thank you for translating into British parlance Brett, look forward to the next installment

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Thank you for translating into British parlance Brett, look forward to the next installment
    I will try my best to use the correct words for the parts but I'm sure I'll get some things wrong. When I get it wrong I hope you'll let me know.

Here is what it looks like so far.

Spraying a light mist of water weighs the fabric down and stretches it, wrinkles will then form. To remove them the fabric is pulled tighter in the area that needs to be. As the water drys the fabric will shrink a little pulling it tighter.
    The reason for the water is that later on I'll spray a light layer of resin over the fabric to stiffen it up and if the water procedure isn't used before, when the resin is sprayed on, the wrinkles will form then. You can still pull the wrinkles out after the resin is applied but your not racing against time to get the wrinkles out before the resin cures if you do the water procedure first. Spraying the water on first just eliminates any issues that may come up and you have plenty of time to resolve them.

P1180001.jpg
    P1190002.jpg
    P1200004.jpg

This will be part of the buck/plug that I will build for the Hood/Bonnet

That's interesting, looking forward to see this develop. Is the fabric something special for the job or just an old bed sheet?

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    That's interesting, looking forward to see this develop. Is the fabric something special for the job or just an old bed sheet?

Dirk
    Using 100% cotton sheet. You don't want it really thin.

Found that fiberglass resin doesn't have any bad effects with cotton. One time I used spandex material and when the resin cured the heat generated during the curing process caused ripples to form in the fabric. Had to start over.

Still to cold to start glassing but I'm trying out ideas for an extractor vent in the new bonnet/hood.
    Also working on ideas for the hinge

2019_01_20_0003.jpg

Lauren started a trend of reversing the original nostrils (well not quite a trend, two people I think) to act as the extractors for radiator hot air. I think it looks quite good and in keeping with the cars lines etc. What surprises me is such small openings appear to work well based on those that have gone that route.

Not the best photos but here you go :

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Lauren started a trend of reversing the original nostrils (well not quite a trend, two people I think) to act as the extractors for radiator hot air. I think it looks quite good and in keeping with the cars lines etc. What surprises me is such small openings appear to work well based on those that have gone that route.

Not the best photos but here you go :

Interesting

With this new bonnet/hood I'm going to take some of the curve out of it so it doesn't dip so low

I was the second person in that very popular trend Here are a couple of photos and it worked really well I had the 2.2 Subaru engine in this car with a smaller than standard radiator (Metro) and it never over heated.

Dirk

Of course there are other options..........

8FF72735-CBE6-4673-8645-C227FAC6DCF5.jpg

What stick a MK1 Cortina grill on the front

Dirk