Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a new Hood/Bonnet

The extractor vent for the most part is done.

I'll pull the hood/bonnet buck from the opening and give it a coat of primer some sanding and if needed touch up the side flanges then it'll be ready to make the mould from .

P6120001.jpg

P6120002.jpg

P6120003.jpg

That's looking great Brett. I wasn't sure about the bonnet at first (I like the concave nature of the original especially with the nostrils) but now that I see what you have done with the extractor vent I really like the shape. Well done. Will the extractor vent have a true function or is it just a styling exercise?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    That's looking great Brett. I wasn't sure about the bonnet at first (I like the concave nature of the original especially with the nostrils) but now that I see what you have done with the extractor vent I really like the shape. Well done. Will the extractor vent have a true function or is it just a styling exercise?

Thanks
    Kind of figure that nobody cared for it when I got no reply's about it when it was first posted.

Didn't make sense to me to just copy the old design. If I was going to build it from scratch I figured I should update the looks a little.
    Some people can handle change , others can't. I did go through a few versions trying to retain the nostrils but nothing looked right. So I at least tried to keep them.
    The less concave hood/bonnet came about because the hood/bonnet blended in better to the sides with less curvature in it.

Yes the vent will be fully functional. Doesn't make sense to me to do all that work and not make it functional.

Planning to louver the opening, it will look something like this.

P6130001.jpg

P6130002.jpg

P6130003.jpg

P6130004.jpg

Well got to go
    Grand kids are just about done with their lunch.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Very nice. The louvre inserts are a nice touch. In fact, the whole vent looks like an inverse of a GTO or similar muscle car hood scoop... which is kind of cool when you think about it - instead of celebrating the engine being in the front, it reminds you that the engine is in the back
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Looking great Brett

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Hi Brett,

I'm finding your thread inspirational. I admire your ability to develop and fabricate a new design which is looking very professional.

I'm still at the chassis stage but one of the things I want to do in the future is change my bonnet from a Mk2 to a Mk1 (ie with nostrils). If I can't find a suitable replacement bonnet then your thread has made me realise that I could have a go at fabricating my own.

Can't wait to see your car once it's been sprayed.

Alistair

Hi Brett,
    I am interested in the bulge section fitted in these pictures, I assumed you made this separately and bonded it in. I am very interested if you had a special trick on how you achieved the uniform curved up lip at the top back edge where it blends into the newly made panel? I have produced uniform curves in body filler using a shaped tool and lots of sanding etc, but wondered if you had another clever trick to save time?
    Regards John

Quote Originally Posted by Piperphasetwo View Post
    Hi Brett,
    I am interested in the bulge section fitted in these pictures, I assumed you made this separately and bonded it in. I am very interested if you had a special trick on how you achieved the uniform curved up lip at the top back edge where it blends into the newly made panel? I have produced uniform curves in body filler using a shaped tool and lots of sanding etc, but wondered if you had another clever trick to save time?
    Regards John
    I assume your talking about the extractor vent section.

No special trick.
    That part started out as the hood/bonnet vent from a 1996 Pontiac Firebird

I am not that talented at making parts. Its far easier for me to have something to work off of than make it from scratch.

P6140001.jpg
    P6140002.jpg
    P6140003.jpg
    hood vent2.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I assume your talking about the extractor vent section.

No special trick.
    That part started out as the hood/bonnet vent from a 1996 Pontiac Firebird

I am not that talented at making parts. Its far easier for me to have something to work off of than make it from scratch.

P6140001.jpg
    P6140002.jpg
    P6140003.jpg
    hood vent2.jpeg
    That is still brilliant, it is a very impressive skill you have to see a useful part from another car and with minor modifications make it blend into something completely different...... It looks better than something many mainstream car manufacturers would make! Keep up the good work and keep up the pictures with the technical descriptions. 👍

Hey Brett, sorry I would have commented, but I figured you were getting tired of people telling you how good your designs are! It is looking amazing. Glad to have you posting your progress again. It got pretty dark for a while without posts from you.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416