Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rack & Pinion Conversion using a VW Polo 86C Rack

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    On my build the new set-up doesn't foul the Nova body, however my body is mounted 30mm higher than a stock build, on a on a stock build the Rack and tie-rods will run pretty close to the body.
    There are no adjustable end-stops on the Polo Rack (to prevent the wheels turning too far and fouling the arches), I believe end-stops will be needed on a Nova, the fix isn't too bad - but another welding job on the list.
    Steve, since my recent MOT I'm thinking about options for my rack. Do you think its possible with your set-up to fit it with the body on the chassis, enough space to get it all bolted up?

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Well done on your MOT mate.
    To answer your question, I think it is possible to intstall the bracket and Polo rack with the body on.
    The bracket is nominally a bolt-on fit, however like any off-piste job on the Nova, there will probably be some fun and games getting it in and working.

I found this picture which gives an indication of the clearance, as previously mentioned I have more space due to the 30mm raised body. I think a body-on install is tight but doable.

IMG_20180829_145031.jpg

Thanks for the photo Steve, its helpful.

Are the trailing arms you used the Polo ones mated to the VW ones?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Thanks for the photo Steve, its helpful.

Are the trailing arms you used the Polo ones mated to the VW ones?
    Hi Dave, I assume you mean the Tie rods.
    They are a custom length, so you need to cut-and-shut 2 ends together, or cut down the longer VW Rod.
    Flatlands did this for me, but I think you can use the VW or the Polo rods interchangeably.

The Polo uses tie rods of the same thread as the Beetle M14x1.5, and has the same arrangement with the centre 'ends having a reverse (left hand) thread.

To get the centre tie rod end, i.e. the Polo item which bolts to the rack, you have to buy the full rod with both 'ends. The VW part number is: 871419802, you'll need 2 of these.

The centre bracket which holds the 2 tie rods is: 871419313.

Forgot to mention earlier that, while the bracket is fixed (well, it allows some lateral movement only) The Polo rack itself can *rotate* in the bracket, allowing you to raise or lower the tie rods to get them level, there is limited movement though.
    Last edited by steve; 22-04-2019 at 01:41 AM.

Thanks Steve for the information.

I did wonder about the angle of your rack input shaft, but sound like some rotation can make it less of an aggressive angle

Blog Entries
    Yes there is some adjustment to the angle of the input shaft (i.e. the shaft that goes to the steering wheel) by rotating the rack in the bracket, there is a compromise to be struck here between getting the track rods as level (horizontal) as possible and setting the angle of the input shaft correctly.

Having said that, cars that use the stock VW Steering box have the same issue.
    Last edited by steve; 22-04-2019 at 10:17 AM.