Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 105

Thread: Canopy Lifting Arm build

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Las Vegas,NV USA
    Posts
    207

    Canopy Lifting Arm build

    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Well I certainly hope you start posting more Brett, because you are disappointing me so far
    Well David I sure don't want to disappoint you.

    Had a little time today to get started on the new canopy lifting arms.

    They are made out of 304 stainless steel.

    The stock diameter of the arms I have now are 1" and I'm thinking of increasing that to 1 1/4"(32mm)diameter

    This is the lower bracket. Still needs to be drilled out of course.


    P3160001.jpg

    P3160002.jpg

    P3160003.jpg

    P3160004.jpg

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    East Riding
    Posts
    1,399
    Nice start, When I get round to starting on the Nova I will be making a set of stainless hinges I am still undecided on what to use for the lifting , so I look forward to seeing your progress.

    Dirk

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post

    This is the lower bracket. Still needs to be drilled out of course.



    P3160004.jpg
    How did you do the folds? Do you have a press? or was it block of wood in a vice and an hammer

  4. #4
    Senior Member Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Las Vegas,NV USA
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    How did you do the folds? Do you have a press? or was it block of wood in a vice and an hammer
    I cheated

    I used square tubing and cut out a section from it.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I cheated

    I used square tubing and cut out a section from it.
    Nice bit of lateral thinking

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    East Riding
    Posts
    1,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I cheated

    I used square tubing and cut out a section from it.
    You can buy stainless channel.

    Dirk

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Senior Member Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Las Vegas,NV USA
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    You can buy stainless channel.

    Dirk

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Channel has a different profile where as cutting square tubing looks like bent sheet metal (like the oem brackets look like)

    Stainless steel channel.png stainless steel square tube.png

    Also trying to find any kind of steel here in metric sizes is real hard and then trying to get it in small quantities makes it even harder and then getting it in stainless steel makes it even harder yet, but I found a place to get it

  8. #8
    Another neat job, I am sure the arms will be equally repressive.



    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

    http://ukhozi.page.tl

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    East Riding
    Posts
    1,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Channel has a different profile where as cutting square tubing looks like bent sheet metal (like the oem brackets look like)

    Stainless steel channel.png stainless steel square tube.png

    Also trying to find any kind of steel here in metric sizes is real hard and then trying to get it in small quantities makes it even harder and then getting it in stainless steel makes it even harder yet, but I found a place to get it
    I am surprised at that we can get small amounts of pressed stainless Chanel with the correct profile here very easily
    https://www.metals4u.co.uk/stainless...m-x-3mm/p13448

    Dirk

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    East Riding
    Posts
    1,399
    Looks really good, are they hole cutters or end mills its difficult to tell from the photo with the flutes. Can you post a link to where you got them from

    Dirj

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •