Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Canopy Lifting Arm build

Thanks

Still need to get it mounted in solid. Did a quick install for pictures and to see how things will line up and to see if any issues need to be addressed.
    I did run into a few issues but they can be fixed. As with the body the canopy is not symmetrical and I made both hinges the same(I should have known better)
    I ran out of argon gas for the welder so the mounts for the gas struts are not installed yet.

One advantage that I've noticed is the canopy opens higher and farther forward than the stock. This is probably from the relocated pivot points and the longer arms.

I like the fact that being recessed there is an inbuilt “bump stop” to stop them going over centre too.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Thanks

I did run into a few issues but they can be fixed. As with the body the canopy is not symmetrical and I made both hinges the same(I should have known better)
    What were the issues, and particularly the problem with the hinges being identical; this will be usefull to know when remaking my hinges at some point... `¬)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    What were the issues, and particularly the problem with the hinges being identical; this will be usefull to know when remaking my hinges at some point... `¬)

Mounting holes in the top bracket were not in the same place and the angle at which the top bracket is bent at was different.

Instead of getting the argon gas so I could weld the gas strut bracket on I spent time making a bracket for the gas strut to bolt on instead of being welded on.

P9160001.jpg

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sector View Post
    What is the advantage of lifting system vs front hinge pivoting?
    Richard Oakes thought that the Puma GTV system was an improvement on the Nova inasmuch as one of the canopy edges could be made to seal effectively. However, in order to do this the Puma had to seal the bonnet area and use rather ugly external hinges. In my view the Puma does not look as nice as the Nova with the canopy open, but I'm sure there are those that prefer the Italian derivative...

Coming back to Brett's concealed hinges, having longer bars will certainly help to move the canopy further forward when open, which will definitely help with access, although in wetter climes (like here in Blighty) the canopy does help to keep the rain off

Interesting parallels here with the Holden Hurricane concept from 1969, which also used concealed hinges for the canopy.
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post

Coming back to Brett's concealed hinges, having longer bars will certainly help to move the canopy further forward when open, which will definitely help with access, although in wetter climes (like here in Blighty) the canopy does help to keep the rain off
    Thought I'd respond to this and let you know my thinking and why I made that comment.

Stock pivot points were mounted higher and because I did no calculation for the Radius, delta angle and length of the curve that the stock arms will lift and travel forward on I didn't know how the relocation of the pivot point and change in the Radius, Delta angle, and length of the curve was going to compare to the stock arms so longer arms may have not moved the canopy farther forward or higher.

I do have some issues that I'm working out and I plan to officially call the build done in a couple of weeks and move on to my next project on the car.

P9240001.jpg

P9240002.jpg