Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canopy Lifting Arm build

I have use the thick black plastic of an irrigation hose as a bush, even on the coil over of the buggies front units they last very well.

On the question of alignment, how about using a rose (helm) bearing on one end, say top of front and bottom of rear, that would stop it flopping¡g sideways but self align.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    On the question of alignment, how about using a rose (helm) bearing on one end, say top of front and bottom of rear, that would stop it flopping¡g sideways but self align.
    I'm thinking of using just one at the top front arm for adjustment and alignment.

Materials and parts for the assembly of the new system are starting to come in.

Pivot points will get sealed flange bearings instead of the oem bushing setup.

P8080001.jpg
    P8080002.jpg

Plans for now are to use one heim/rose joint in the top of the front arm for adjustment purposes.

Final materials and parts should be in today. I can then start getting serious about building the new system.

Always looking to improve on things I started to wonder what would be involved and what would be the effects if I recessed the lower arm bracket into the body so it would be out of sight. That would clean up the looks when the canopy is open.

The lifting arms would have to be made longer of course but I haven't made those yet so thats not a problem. I could make a set of arms with ends that could be adjusted so I could experiment with different lengths.

Just a thought

That's an interesting idea Brent, recessing them into the body. Now I'm wonder if it would have to be straight arms, or if they could be curved and still work.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Just a thought
    No longer just a thought.

I'm going to recess that ugly bracket into the body so its out of site.

New location will at least look like some thought was used in the mounting spot instead of it sticking out in the open.

Should be interesting what you come up with, Brett. I know it will be something special!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    No longer just a thought.

I'm going to recess that ugly bracket into the body so its out of site.

New location will at least look like some thought was used in the mounting spot instead of it sticking out in the open.
    Sounds like a lot of work .... but it'll make it look more 'production car' than 'kit car'.

I'm really looking forward to hearing (and seeing) all about it Brett!

Alistair

Interesting idea looking forward to see what you come up with especially needing a bit of structural strength

Dirk

Had to order a few extra parts for the relocation of the mounting bracket but the materials came in today.

Started to make the rear arms lower pivot mounting bracket. Got the ends machined and ready to weld on to the arms. I'm going with needle roller bearings for the lower pivot point instead of ball bearings because the rear arm will handle the lifting force now instead of the front arm and the needle roller bearings will handle a higher load than ball bearings because the load is spread out over a wider distance. The top mount however will get ball bearings.
    P8150001.jpg

P8150002.jpg