Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Canopy Lifting Arm build

Being held up on the install because I decided to build a hoist system for the canopy that will be suspended from the garage door tracks. This way I wont have to depend on anyone's help to lift the canopy off and on the car. Plus when the garage door is closed I can move the canopy out of the way by rolling it on the garage door tracks.

Should have that built in a couple of days.

Just realised your "powered lifting arm" is the rear one. Any particular reason rather than the front arm?, not that I can think of any difference theoretically

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Just realised your "powered lifting arm" is the rear one. Any particular reason rather than the front arm?, not that I can think of any difference theoretically
    I was wondering if anyone would notice that.

Yes there are 2 reasons why I choose the rear arm to be the lifting force.

First is if I would have used the front arm for lifting there is no room for the gas strut to mount without cutting a hole in the body and then it would be exposed to the wheel and the elements.(thats called the wheel well here, I don't know what its called there)

Second is with the oem setup the gas strut is always trying to push the front of the canopy up when its in the closed position and I couldn't tell you how many hours I spent adjusting that front arm trying to get the front of the canopy to lay flat but the strut was always pushing the front up and I could never get the canopy adjusted so it would line up with the body right. Moving the lifting force to the rear arm I hope will stop this from happening.

I guess a third reason(if you need another) was the actuator arm needed to be a certain length and putting it on the rear arm gave me the space I needed.

Of course the people with hydraulic or linear actuators don't have this issue because they have removed the gas strut, but with the system that I'm installing I need the gas strut for the manual lifting mode.

Brett,
    With the fulsrum below the body line will they lay flat enough to fully close the lid? I am assuming that you have not had them installed in the body yet.

What other bracing will be used? looks like at present they will only have 2 bolts?

Still very interested to see this system in action, and would like to follow similar route.

Keet at it Brett, you are inspiring current projects and keeping the on the road but but always tinkering folks dreaming of the next Mighty Car Mod.

Cheers

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    Brett,
    With the fulsrum below the body line will they lay flat enough to fully close the lid? I am assuming that you have not had them installed in the body yet.

What other bracing will be used? looks like at present they will only have 2 bolts?

Still very interested to see this system in action, and would like to follow similar route.

Keet at it Brett, you are inspiring current projects and keeping the on the road but but always tinkering folks dreaming of the next Mighty Car Mod.

Cheers

Bushboy

Along with making the arms longer I also moved the pivot points forward to ensure the canopy will close fully.
    Also the lever that the gas strut and power assist unit will connect to was made out of thicker than needed material to help act as a counter balance weight.

Lower bracket is not finished. It will get a flange around the top perimeter and additional mounting holes will go there.

G'day Brett,

The fog lifts!!!!!

Yes a flange around the top will sort my fears out. Another inspiration to tuck away for when I to modding my canopy arms.

Cheers

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Time to man up and make the first cut

P9100010.jpg

P9100013.jpg

P9100015.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Time to man up and make the first cut
    Brett, you'll have heard the old saying .... "measure twice and cut once". Perhaps in this case it should be "measure a dozen times and cut once!" Good luck!

Alistair

Its all looking very good.

Dirk

Looking very good and as usual, professional. About time a new approach on those hinges was made.
    I just keep thinking, "Thank heavens I have doors".

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl