Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Canopy Lifting Arm build

Looking forward to seeing the finished results. I really wish I had a TIG, maybe if I ask reallynice Mrs Bushboy (AKA Santa Clause) will get me one for christmas.

I like the fabrication that goes into these cars as much as driving mine around.

Cheers

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the finished results. I really wish I had a TIG, maybe if I ask reallynice Mrs Bushboy (AKA Santa Clause) will get me one for christmas.

I like the fabrication that goes into these cars as much as driving mine around.

Cheers

Bushboy
    I got lucky getting the welders. At the time there was no way I could afford getting them.

First welder (the mig) the shop was having a clearance sale on them to make way for the new models. I couldn't even afford the sale price but the shop let me make payments on it. At the time I didn't even have a place to store it so my work place let me store it there for over a year. So I had the mig for over a year before it was even taken out of the box.

The tig was just pure luck. I always wanted a tig but they were well out of my price range but one day I was getting some supplies at the same welding store that I got the mig from and jokingly ask what sales they had on tig welders. Well needless to say they said none, but then the guy hesitated for a minute and said he had one in the back that was ordered for someone and they never came to pick it up and he was willing to let that go for a discount. Again even at the great price he quoted me for it I still couldn't afford it, but like with the mig welder he said he would let me make payments on it. So thats how I came about getting them.

Moral of the story, Check your local shops you may get lucky

Does anyone know what this material is called and where I can find some in bulk??

trim material3a.jpg

Thinking of using it to cover the opening that will be created when I recess the lifting arms into the body.

I've seen this in the salvage yards here but all of it is to short to use.
    I have another option but I would like to see if I can acquire some of this first.

Thanks

In England the easiest way to buy it is as 'door brush seal' sold in lengths with various material spines long enough to go round house doors or along garage doors. I used some where my canopy wires come out of the body that came froma letterbox seal....
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    In England the easiest way to buy it is as 'door brush seal' sold in lengths with various material spines long enough to go round house doors or along garage doors. I used some where my canopy wires come out of the body that came froma letterbox seal....
    Thanks

Found them. Just need to measure how much will be needed and then place an order for them.

Well nothing works out as planned. Got all three grand kids today so I may not get to welding up the arms as planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Does anyone know what this material is called and where I can find some in bulk??

trim material3a.jpg

Thinking of using it to cover the opening that will be created when I recess the lifting arms into the body.

I've seen this in the salvage yards here but all of it is to short to use.
    I have another option but I would like to see if I can acquire some of this first.

Thanks
    Used door brushes for my BMW E30 auto gear shift, 4 feet last years.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Thanks Peter
    I was going to order some now but I think I'll wait till the arms are done and installed just in case something will change.

And speaking of arms this is what I have so far

P9010001.jpg

I'll work on the lower bracket today and hopefully finish it.

Spy Photo's

Still not finished but this picture of a new style of canopy lifting system was taken at a secret Sterling development facility.

Second one still under construction

P9020001.jpg

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Looking very professional Brett
    Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    That looks really interesting and a lot tidier without the ram showing are you introducing any side bracing like the originals?

Dirk