Thread: Couple of Recent Videos of the London Gulf Nova ....

Couple of Recent Videos of the London Gulf Nova ....

Thought some of you might be interested in these recent videos from YouTube.

The owner appears to have his own personal parking space in a pedestrianised area while he goes shopping to Harrods, if his carrier bag's anything to go by!

1. About 10 mins of the Nova parked. The owner seems to enjoy just sitting in it for a while, and then chatting to his mates .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4draoX610Y

2. About a minute of the Nova leaving the pedestrianised area .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NqYv4oIq0M

Alistair

Studying those videos carefully makes me very aware of how high my car sits at the back. I really must cut down the bump stops and lower it a bit more. It's the law..
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Heh, how many of you noticed the rear wheels are missing the odd bolt?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaisa View Post
    Heh, how many of you noticed the rear wheels are missing the odd bolt?
    Hi Gaisa,

I didn't notice but have just had another look ... well spotted!

I also see that he's got 4 stud slot mags on the front and 5 studs on the rear, which has got me thinking. I like my 14" slot mags and don't particularly want to change them but I feel I need to increase the wheel/tyre size at the rear to fill the huge gap between the tyre and the body. I'm quite happy with the 14" wheels on the front.

mobile backup 18 feb 15 381.jpg

I'd resigned myself to probably buying a full set of new wheels & tyres, but maybe I just need to find 2 larger slot mags (possibly 5 studs) for the rear like the London Gulf? However, the key issue might be the availability of suitable 14" tyres for the front, so I'll need to do some research before committing to anything.

Cheers, Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Studying those videos carefully makes me very aware of how high my car sits at the back. I really must cut down the bump stops and lower it a bit more. It's the law..
    Phill,

See my reply to Gaisa's comment tonight about the London Gulf Nova's wheels. You'll be buying new tyres very soon .... would buying a couple of larger turbo vecs for the rear be worth considering to help fill the gap whilst minimising negative camber resulting from lowering?

Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Try jack the suspension level and adding some stops to the arm stops, I have about 10mm to bring the axles level. you still get the same spring rate when loaded also cut stops in half to allow more movement. You should also fit retainers to stop arms slipping off of stops in corners..
    anti spring bar.jpg

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Phill,

See my reply to Gaisa's comment tonight about the London Gulf Nova's wheels. You'll be buying new tyres very soon .... would buying a couple of larger turbo vecs for the rear be worth considering to help fill the gap whilst minimising negative camber resulting from lowering?

Alistair
    Yes if I could get a couple of wheels to match. The other thing I considered was fitting 205/80 x 14 tyres at the back (instead of the 205/70s currentyl fitted) to increase the radius, however this would make the tyres look even skinnier (even though they're the same width) due to their increased height

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Try jack the suspension level and adding some stops to the arm stops, I have about 10mm to bring the axles level. you still get the same spring rate when loaded also cut stops in half to allow more movement. You should also fit retainers to stop arms slipping off of stops in corners..
    anti spring bar.jpg
    Good idea Peter - whilst it would make no difference to the ride height, it would stop the wheels from tucking in when the suspension is unloaded

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    The owner clearly enjoys the attention is gets!

(Which I suppose IS the point of a Nova )

Alistair - I know you are concerned about the gap between the wheel and the rear arches, but it is almost certain the Gulf Nova does not have floorpan drops. That is why the owner was able to drop the ride height so low (you can tell by the negative camber on the swing axles, that look isn't for performance - it's for posing!).

In fact the Gulf Nova is a surprisingly original Elam Mk1, right down to the dashboard and rear valence/light bar. I suspect the hydraulics may have been upgraded though!
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Following my previous comment about using 205/80 profile tyres on 14" rims I reckon the increased diameter would be 41mm. To get an idea what difference this would make to filling the arches I have made a couple of scale drawings.

205.jpg

205b.jpg