Thread: Power Rear Window

Power Rear Window

Found this in a Honda Del Sol and it looked to have possibilities of working in a Sterling so I pulled it.

Haven't had time to do any serious engineering on it but from the dimensions that I took it has potential.

It bolts up to the rear bulkhead/firewall so there is no custom fabrication of mounts needed.
    I pulled the rails that the window slides on also.

Once I complete my other projects on the car I'll get serious about installing this

Also pulled the switches and the module to it

P5200001.jpg

Very interesting. Can you please provide dimensions.
    Last edited by Sector; 21-05-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sector View Post
    Very interesting. Can you please provide dimensions.
    Here are the dimensions in the stock oem settings.

One thing to keep in mind is the mechanism is operated by cables and the locations of the tracks can be changed along with the location of the motor.

In stock format this bolted to the back firewall and was a part of the firewall. when removed it left a large opening in the back firewall. You can see in the first photo the area where the sealant was applied. So if this was done on a sterling you would have a large opening to get to the fuel(petrol) tank. (in theory,, depending on the installation of it). Or maybe by just removing the mechanical parts and bolting that to the back firewall of the sterling is possible.

Lots of options.

Instead of using the oem glass of the Honda a custom cut glass will have to be made because the Honda glass is to large to work but the oem tack mounts should be able to be removed from the oem glass and installed on the new glass.

A defroster is also an option. The oem setup has one and maybe it can be used on the new glass.

P7310001.JPG
    P7310002.JPG
    P8070001b.jpg

Looks promising. Thank you

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have also done some research and experimenting with the install of power side windows

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I have also done some research and experimenting with the install of power side windows

Now that would be something everyone would like to have.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Interesting idea - presumably they'd have to hinge, or have you a cunning plan for them to slide somehow?
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    Interesting idea - presumably they'd have to hinge, or have you a cunning plan for them to slide somehow?
    Nothing really high tech about it.

No sliding mechanism. I think that would require to much hardware to make it work and we all know there is very little space available.

Its nothing more than replacing the stock latch with a side window motor out of a SUV and it would use the same mounting hole in the window as the manual latch uses. Stock window and hinges are used

I found a window motor small enough to fit inside of the canopy.

Got the grand kids today but if I get time I'll post a picture of the motor I found and how it could be mounted.
    Just another idea that will have to wait till I get other projects done.

been working on the new hood/bonnet

Edit:

P5220001.jpg
    Last edited by Brett; 22-05-2019 at 07:01 PM.

I'd be interested to see how you get one with opening side windows too. I love what I did with mine, but just wish I had managed to get them water tight!!! I've got some new seals to try out on my next trip so lets see.

I made mine so that the glass is removable, but found that I've never ever driven with them actually removed so on my next car I may dispense with that part.

Keep the updates coming, I'll be watching with interest on what you end up with