Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nova AKA806J

Nova AKA806J

BFF04C8B-18BF-4BB2-A3EB-011079E408D3.jpg19FBA161-E28B-462C-A5F7-4CB8829E9EDA.jpgOk Nova folks time for your appraisal of what I bought, I can’t find a number in the front?
    The bonnet from underneath has Mk1 nostrils and it was sold to me as a Mk1.
    The dash looks like it was Dual binacle, or at lest what’s left of it! Anyone have a mould or sell new dashes and binacles?
    The rear light are way too high, as is the number plate. All this will be heading south to where it should be.
    Any rear valance lighting inserts as original?
    I’m guessing that the photo of inside the canopy is were an old handle mechanism went? Externally someone has added a high level brake light dowel to cover where the handle one perhaps was?
    I have known of Novas since I was a teenager in the 70’s and always wanted one, but apart from bolting to a vow floorpan beach buggy style I am at your mercy and await knowledge from anyone who has spare time to comment.A5557363-EC1E-4CFE-B22A-65711F52AE87.jpgC176E7EC-2A3A-4914-A82D-BFB45D07447A.jpg5BFD15B9-F930-4AF3-83DA-DC7D3EEDF4E7.jpg

Well that all looks really good, and from I can tell the floor looks solid which is a big bonus.
    You will probably find most of the information just by reading the majority of posts. Just pick a section that you have questions about, and go from there. There is so much info, you just have to find it!!
    Enjoy the restoration ride, for it will get bumpy !!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Hi Nigel,

It looks like you've got yourself a really good project there. I agree about the rear needing changed back, but speaking as someone who's constantly on the lookout for a Mk1 bonnet (and come to think of it, probably also a Mk1 front valance) I can't believe that someone's actually glassed over a pair of Mk1 nostrils to make it look like a Mk2

Go over your chassis and the front beam (especially the shock towers) with a fine tooth comb and don't be afraid to prod really aggressively. Now is the time to find out whether you can start your project with the body on or whether it would be better to take the body off. I really didn't have a choice about going 'body off' because of the state of my chassis, but I'm so glad I did because it's made access to everything mechanical so much easier.

Still think I'm looking at my own Nova in your photos because the colour's so similar!

All the best with your project and you can be assured of lots of help and support from the guys and gals on the Forum.

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    It looks like you have a good solid starting point.

Dirk

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Try to post some bigger pics please.

The Dash in your first pic is actually the Dash base,
    The Dash base is the same between Mk1 and Mk2 Cars (and I think Mk 4 Cars...)
    So you could fit the twin Dash pods (from a Mk1) or Swoopy one-piece dash (Mk2) or even a Mk4 Dash to the same base.

Your dash base has been seriously hacked, it's probably too far gone, unless you have the centre section to 'glass back in(?)

I have a spare base you can have for free (pictured below) it is in poor condition tough.
    These guys in Belgium can supply parts such as these made to order: http://poly-creation.eu/novaEng.htm

>> I’m guessing that the photo of inside the canopy is were an old handle mechanism went?
    >> Externally someone has added a high level brake light dowel to cover where the handle one perhaps was?

Yes to Both.

It's a pity you don't have a 'VIN' tag. It would have been where your steering box 'clearance hole' is.
    It was probably removed when the hole was cut. You might still be able to see rivet holes? My Mk1 car didn't have a tag either.

Looks like the gear lever has been moved back, hopefully it's in the right spot for you,
    if it isn't, fix it early in the build.

Thanks Steve, I may well take you up on the dash base if I can’t find a better one. I was hoping someone out there would have a mould for this base and pods. When the body comes off I’m thinking of converting to lhd as I have lived in France for 15 years now. I could patch the floorpans but I would prefer to go with new and drop them myself. Once the body’s off, it’s much easier to get all the mechanicals and ensure a quality rebuild. Here is my 1966 formula vee I’ve just done.38CBEA9F-4B5F-4FEF-AA96-8A2B16AD714E.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Hi Nigel,

It looks like you've got yourself a really good project there. I agree about the rear needing changed back, but speaking as someone who's constantly on the lookout for a Mk1 bonnet (and come to think of it, probably also a Mk1 front valance) I can't believe that someone's actually glassed over a pair of Mk1 nostrils to make it look like a Mk2

Go over your chassis and the front beam (especially the shock towers) with a fine tooth comb and don't be afraid to prod really aggressively. Now is the time to find out whether you can start your project with the body on or whether it would be better to take the body off. I really didn't have a choice about going 'body off' because of the state of my chassis, but I'm so glad I did because it's made access to everything mechanical so much easier.

Still think I'm looking at my own Nova in your photos because the colour's so similar!

All the best with your project and you can be assured of lots of help and support from the guys and gals on the Forum.

Alistair
    Thanks Alistair, I’m gonna try and get the bonnet back to nostrils, the body’s comming off s I can get the chassis blasted, I will put new pans in as the old one are not the best and I don’t want a patchwork. I would have thought with the global success of the nova and derivatives there would be moulds knocking around for some of the parts I need??

I have a mould for the pods but not the base......
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    I have a mould for the pods but not the base......
    That’s great news, what would I be looking at for a couple of pods please? If I lived closer I would ask to borrow the mould as I have a lot of experience moulding fibreglass. But being in France it would be easier just to buy a pair. What other moulds do you have for the Nova? Thanks