Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bobbybrown's Red Nova!

Bobbybrown's Red Nova!

My very own "your cars" thread

Here are some pictures that I've managed to get so far, It arrived on the 28th July 2008 and within 1 hour of getting to the new home the engine was purring away.
    I'll admit only for 6 or 7 seconds but its a start!

Lets get the hole in the fuel tank sorted and see if it runs any better.

Engine is coming out tonight hopefully and will remove the transmission in the next day or so, so that I can get the fuel tank out and replace it if necessary.

Currently fitted with a 1600 aircooled VW engine, a dashboard from a Triumph Dolomite and a manual lift canopy which is soon to be changed for a hydraulic set up if everything goes to plan.

The body needs a respray and will be blue when its finished as I already have a name for the car, and it needs to be blue for that to work. The name is sentimental to me so its quite important.

I'll keep this thread updated with new progress

Re: Bobbybrown's Red Nova!

Looks like a great place to start. Besides the fuel tank and the manual labor canopy any other "issues"?

just a couple of dodgy circuits on the wiring, the brakes need sorting out as they erm....don't work and things like windows.
    They need to come out and be rebonded as they aren't too good how they are.
    Oh, and of course the seats, you can see the state of them in the pictures.
    Not much else to be honest but I'm sure I'll stumble across things as I get to them.

Still haven't had the time to check underneath so will be doing that later when removing the engine, hopefully its all nice and safe, the owner said when her husband built cars he built them to last, so lets hope he did so with the floor pan!

The floor pan has been lowered so hopefully he did that himself, which wouldn't have been all that long ago!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbybrown
    The body needs a respray and will be blue when its finished as I already have a name for the car, and it needs to be blue for that to work. The name is sentimental to me so its quite important.
    SMURF?

Are you going to name it SMURF?

1975 Sterling
    215 ci Buick V8
    Sterling in Garage! Back to work!

.....no.
    I will reveal the name, and the meaning behind it when I'm ready to, I'm not entirely sure its the right thing to do yet, so when I've sorted it out in my own mind I will share all.

More pictures

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

L50-15 is an American tyre sizing. 50% profile, 15" rims, with L being the tyre width (my F70-14's were equivalent to 205mm, I think G is 215mm, H maybe 225... 265/50 x 15 maybe???

Nice straight louvre you have there!
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Just to add N50 15 is about 295mm wide so somewhere around the 255 265 width 50 or 60 profile should fit your rims.

However why not measure in mm the effective width of the tyre as it sits on the vehicle now and then measure the height from roughly the bottom of the rim radius to the flat of the tread then do a calculation to see what the profile is that way, then you know you are matching like for like.

The alternative is to remove one tyre, measure between the rim edges to get the correct width then decide what tyre width best suits that and then decide on a profile you want. oh its a 15" wheel by the way

See you have the local dolly birds flocking around you already.
    http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031

Have you considered a fuel cell in the front? I have an 8 gallon fuel cell and it just bareley fits. But this would give a little extra weight to the front (at least when the tank is full). My tank was rusted out and thought changing out the original was not worth the work involved.